Ch.8 Beast

Yennefer woke up feeling exhausted and just drained altogether finding herself laying face first on the floor. Her body ached, She lifted herself up and stood up slowly, she could feel the aches start to subside.

looking around the room she noticed Geralt was lying next to her asleep as well. But when she moved closer, the witcher stirred lightly before blinking slowly. When he looks up to face Yennefer.

His eyes are wide, and confused. They stay locked on her for a moment, "What happened?" he finally asks, his voice deep, rougher than usual.

Yennefer shakes her head lightly, feeling a bit overwhelmed with all that had happened. "Something took Jaskier... but I know where he was.." she tells him, "...That mist.... it did something to him, something dangerous..." she whispers.

Geralt grunts, sitting himself up on the ground.

"..This is the moment that you actually need my help... I'll portal us."

Geralt's hands clenched and unclenched at his sides. Yennefer turns her focus to summoning a portal. After a brief moment of silence and concentration the portal showed immediately they both walked into it, the two of them appearing in front of a large dark forest, Yennefer could immediately sense the darkness here.

And it was strong..

She quickly glanced towards Geralt who was already scanning his surroundings carefully, his sword drawn and ready even if he was feeling sick from the travel.

Yennefer takes several hesitant steps forward toward a thick cluster of dark grey mist. The witcher follows after her silently. "Yennefer.." Geralt calls to her. "Wait.." he says firmly, his voice stern.

The witch hesitates briefly before turning towards Geralt questioningly. "There's something wrong..." he mutters to himself. "Something powerful..." He continues quietly.

Suddenly the ground starts shaking underneath them, causing Yennefer to stumble backwards. Before she could say something the earth starts shifting. A large creature bursts out of the ground. A beast twice Geralt's size. "A trap." Yennefer says immediately, stepping closer to the witcher protectively.

The monster roared and charged towards the two of them, it's long furred arms swinging in their direction. Geralt readies his sword as the creature gets closer, raising his blade to parry the monster's attack.

He swings hard and fast, cutting through the monster's arm. But before he manages to make the kill the monster grabs Geralt's shoulder tightly lifting him off the ground before attempting to slam him hard onto a nearby rock luckily Yennefer was ready and lifted both her hands casting a spell.

A bright invisible shield materializes around Geralt's body protecting him from the impact with the stone. But the monster had other plans. It's other leg comes up and knocks Yennefer off the ground sending her flying backwards.

She landed roughly against a tree trunk, her head hitting painfully against it causing her to lose consciousness for a split second. As soon as her vision returned she was able to push herself back up.

The beast ran towards Geralt, its jaws opening wide, ready to devour its prey, Geralt swung his sword at it's stomach, missing and slicing through its side instead. It lets out another loud roar as it tries once again to crush Geralt, who quickly casts quen.

Yennefer sees the beast coming towards Geralt again. She raises her hands once more and sends a wave of energy crashing into it, knocking it off its feet. Geralt manages to slash it again, leaving a deep gash in it's flesh.

The monster roars again. This time the sound is much louder and more menacing. The blood starts oozing out of the wound, painting the snow crimson red. It charges at the two once again, Geralt readying his sword once more. But Yennefer moves in front of him just before it reaches Geralt casting a larger shield.