Ch.11 Winter

Ciri was sitting outside Kaer Morhen The snow had begun falling earlier that evening  which made the scenery look like a beautiful snowy scene. White coated trees surrounded by dark grey clouds. A strong gust of wind blew causing a small flurry of white flakes to fall upon Ciri.

She closed her eyes and smiled, memories of her childhood flooding through her mind, of a happy life and warm fires surrounding her, she could hear her grandmother laughing  and smiling at something. The memory disappeared quickly when she heard a familiar voice calling her name.

She opened her eyes and turned towards the familiar voice, seeing Geralt walking towards her. He sat down beside her, "You're not cold?" he asks, noticing Ciri hugging herself. "..Not really." She shrugs, "It feels nice actually, my grandmother used to tell me how nice winter was.." she comments.

"..Is it always snowing here?" Ciri asks, "Even during the summer?"

"Yeah.. usually not as much.. we've had a few milder winters.." he informs her, "The weather is always colder here in the winter.." He explains further.

"Years before you were born.. Jaskier and I were invited to your grandmothers royal ball." he reveals, remembering a very long ago event. He smiles as he remembers the events that took place.

"Jaskier had somehow managed to keep me there long enough. That bard has an unnatural talent for getting everywhere.."

"Did my grandmother like him?" Ciri asks,

"...To tell you the truth, Jask was young as well as his own songs, she wasn't very fond of it." Geralt answered, remembering that particular conversation with Calanthe.

Ciri looks at him curiously, "..Well what did he perform?"

Geralt looks at her before answering, "I won't be singing that to you." He retorts knowing the song is not appropriate for anyone's ears. He expected some sort of protest but instead Ciri lets out a quiet laugh, "Alright, alright. But I still want to know..." She insists before asking, "Geralt.. Why are you telling me this?"

"Because I care.." he admits honestly, "And I'm sorry, for not listening to you." He adds.

"I forgive you." Ciri says, "..You're just worried about me.." she states.

"I always am." He admits,

"..Do you think Jaskier is okay?" Ciri asks suddenly, catching Geralt off guard with her question but of course she was going to bring him up again..

Geralt sighs, "I'm not sure." He answers honestly, he looks up towards the sky briefly before returning to look back at Ciri.

"..One night I caught Jaskier staring at his fingers." Ciri mentions, "When I asked him about it he looked as if he wanted to cry.. I was able to hear him mumble 'Yennefer was there'.." she admits.

Geralt frowns, Jaskier had told him he was saved by Yennefer but didn't give him any more specific information about it..

"I thought that I couldn't trust Yennefer again.. but after hearing Jaskier say that, just reminded me how she was willing to sacrifice her life for me.. and I forgive her too." she confesses, "I'm tired of living in fear.. I've lost everything and yet I still choose to fight. I think that if I can protect myself, than protecting the people I care about too can also be justified, right?" She asks.

"..You're too young to decide those things for yourself.." Geralt replies, "But you were brought into this, and your training is just beginning. We both know full well how hard this is going to be on you.. so please be careful. Don't force yourself to do anything reckless..." he warns.

"I'll try, promise.."

"Good, then I'll allow you to help on our journey to find Jaskier."

"Thank you." Ciri turns to give him a hug,

"You can thank Yennefer."