006. Nightmares & Locker Rooms

(Ep

(Ep. 4: Will the Wise)
Tw: Slight sexual content

News traveled fast amongst Hawkins High that Billy Hargrove was officially taken by Gwen Henderson. Having the rake of the school committed to a relationship turned the world upside down. No one expected Gwen to be the girl to tame him, especially since she drove every suitor away with her shrewish personality.

Now she has become the envy of many. Mainly were the girls Billy had dumped prior to her who were still resentful over the humiliation on being replaced.

It was all anyone seemed to talk about. Even more so in gym class where Billy flaunted his beautiful girlfriend to the team.

Steve could do nothing but pretend none of this was bothering him. He tried ignoring all the whispers, all the rumors, and the realization that she was officially taken. He would have to settle by pretending she doesn't exist. By avoiding looking her way, he was determined to get those petrifying desires to vanish from his mind.

How ridiculous he was being. He didn't even like the woman. She was too prideful, too bossy, and far too intolerable. She was too much of everything and far too much to handle. Even her eyes, her nose, her lips... those beautiful and desirable-

Desirable?

Steve trembled at such a thought. How could he find her desirable? Just thinking about it would consider him in need of an asylum.

And yet, he had dreamt of her last night.

Soon after she had left the festival, a couple of his old friends had asked him to take them home. He was so furious with her for going back to Billy that he was unable to deny their request. It was no wonder he couldn't mouth a word on the way home. He'd nod every now and then and pretend he was interested in their meaningless conversations.

It was a blessing indeed when Natalia interrupted his thoughts by asking him to be her escort for the Miss Hawkins Ball. He wanted to laugh at such a ridiculous suggestion, to simply shrug her off but then, he heard her name.

"Gwen is participating as well..."

He agreed the second her name was mentioned, leaving him unsure as to why he was suddenly so driven to be around her considering how much he despises her.

As he entered his lonely home, he did everything he could to forget her. He headed to his father's liquor cabinet and filled himself a glass of whiskey. It's not like his father would notice when he's rarely in the house. He downed the contents in one gulp and took another after another. Only his attempts failed when his drunken mind focused on Gwen even more.

He hopped into the shower and prayed the hot water would drown the memory of her. Only that didn't work either so he settled on going to bed. It was barely 10:30, much earlier than his usual bedtime, but he needed to forget her.