008. Midnight Rain

(Ep

(Ep. 6: The Spy)

1980

Leaning back against the brick wall, Gwen waited with her Spanish textbook in hand for what seemed forever. It was unusual for Steve to be this late to their tutoring session. From always being on time or being the first one here, thirty minutes late was extremely out of place.

Worried something happened, she hurried inside to look for him. Maybe he forgot or got held up. A million reasons filled her mind, but none of them came close to the sight in front.

Steve was surrounded by Tommy and Carol. He was pressed up against his locker while Tommy appeared to be teasing him about something. Steve tried walking past them, but Carol blocked his every attempt.

"Come on, I gotta go now," he told them.

Placing his arm around Steve to prevent his escape, Tommy smiled and confronted him, "You've been spending an awful lot of time with that Henderson chic. Are you two an item now?"

"Have you fucked her yet?"

Gwen held herself back and just hid to listen to his response. She trusted Steve to tell the truth and let them know nothing was happening between them. It's just two friends studying together. They might hold hands when he walks her home, but that's it. There's been nothing more than that.

He laughed, "She's helping me with Spanish. You know I need to pass that class if I want to stay on the basketball team."

His friends weren't satisfied. They were determined to get the dirty scoop regardless if there's anything or not.

"If that's just it, then why did we see you sharing a milkshake with her? You seemed very comfortable with someone who's just your tutor," using air quotes around 'tutor,' Carol raised a suspicious brow at him and waited for him to confess.

Refusing to listen to more of this ridiculous conversation, Gwen started walking to the exit when he finally responded.

"Seriously, guys? I would never dream of dating or fucking Gwen Henderson," his friends started laughing as he continued, "Just look at her and look at me. I'd never get involved with someone with lots of issues."

"Her dad dying really did a number on her," Carol joked.

Steve nodded, "You got that right."

Their laughter filled the halls as Gwen felt his betrayal burn her from the inside out. She had trusted him with her personal life... and he used it against her.

"How much do you bet her dad faked his death just so he'd escape her and her freak family?" Tommy laughed, now being joined by Carol... and Steve.

She wanted to confront him. To punch that frivolous face of his, but the more she tried convincing herself to do so, Gwen knew she wouldn't be able to go through with it.