041. The Letters

(Ep

(Ep. 4: Dear Billy)

"It was here. Right here."

Everyone exchanges equally confused looks as they stare aimlessly at the empty wall holding nothing but their flashlights.

"What exactly was here?" Daphne questions, glancing towards Gwen, Nancy, and Robin as they catch their breaths from having barely barged into the school.

Max takes a deep breath, the light from her flashlight trembling from her shaky hand. "A grandfather clock."

Just as Gwen hears those words, she feels her body run cold. She had seen a grandfather clock back at the library as well, and simply believed it had been because she was going crazy. She didn't mention it from thinking it was not important, but now hearing that Max had seen it too, definitely means it has some connection to Vecna.

"A grandfather clock?" Nancy asks, her voice laced with concern.

"It was so real," Max's voice breaks, her fear now starting to worsen. "And then when I got closer, suddenly I just... I woke up," she turns around, staring at all of them with a pleading look. "You have to believe me. I swear I saw it!"

"We believe you," Gwen gently squeezes her shoulder for reassurance, refusing to let her believe she's alone in this.

"It was like she was in a trance or something," Dustin explains to the rest of the group, "Exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy."

Those words brought an intense worry and a grave fear to overwhelm Gwen. She can't imagine what she'd do if she were to lose someone she loves like that. Just thinking about it feels like blades cutting her open.

Max turns around, her eyes filled with tears as she recalls what each of the victims had in common. "That's not even the bad part."

An ominous silence fills the halls, all of them glance at the young girl as she starts heading back to Ms. Kelley's office and pulls out Chrissy and Fred's files. The group gathers around the desk and waits for further explanation to this dilemma.

Sliding one of the files closer to her, Gwen reads each of the descriptions. She doesn't want to admit how uncomfortable it feels to be reading their personal information, but now if Max is affected by this, she doesn't have time to worry about the rest when the young girl is more important now.

"They both were having headaches, bad headaches that just wouldn't go away..."

Gwen freezes for a mere moment, she starts remembering the terrible headaches she's been having before coming here and how they seemed to worsen the second she arrived. It can't be connected, right? It's not like getting random headaches means you're now a target for this Vecna monster. Surely this must all just be a coincidence.