007. An Unexpected Alliance

(Ep

(Ep. 4 & 5: Will the Wise & Dig Dug)

Mike Wheeler stood on the front porch steps of the Byers' home. He pounded his small hand against the wooden door in full determination to get answers on his best friend's well being, but it seemed no one wanted to ease his concerns. The house was eerily still, not a single sound emitting, only making it the place for worries and fears to grow.

"Hello? Will!" he exclaimed, "Mrs. Byers?!"

Gwen was just turning the corner after having driven in complete silence. From never getting a moment of peace and quiet at her home, she took advantage of every minute and tried forgetting how afraid she was of starting to become interested in Steve. Especially after spending years holding on to her resentment.

"Mike!" she called out, surprised at his sudden but expected visit.

He turned sharply in her direction and found relief when seeing her walk in a calm manner with her usual dark jacket slung over her shoulders. "Here to see Will too?"

"Been meaning to since yesterday. Are they not-" her words were cut short when the door opened halfway, allowing for Joyce to prevent them from entering.

"Hey, you two," her motherly voice said through a very clear forced smile Gwen was able to pick up on.

"Is Will here?" Mike asked.

Joyce stepped out and closed the door behind her. Her panicked eyes rushed through them as she was dreading having to get rid of them. She loved having any of Will or Jonathan's friends over, but these circumstances were forcing her to make tough decisions.

Gently placing her hands on both of their shoulders she said, "You know what? Now's not a really good time."

"Is he okay?" both of them asked.

Gwen studied the worried mom's expression. Her brows were pressed into a tight line indicating the high amount of stress she's in. Her hands were trembling despite trying to control them and the tone of her voice wasn't able to mask her concerns.

Something's definitely off.

Joyce continued even though she was certain none of them were buying it, "Yeah. You know, he's just not feeling well." She felt awful as she led them off her porch, but all she knew was that her son has to be her main priority, "He's laying down so I'll tell him you both stopped by, okay?"

Before Joyce was able to head back inside, Mike blurted out, "It's about the shadow monster, isn't it?"

Both women turned to him in shock. This is the first that Gwen's heard of this monster. From only being aware of the creature her brother found, she hoped that would've been the only entity to come back.

Well that's just great.

With slight reluctance, Joyce allowed them to enter. The last thing she wanted was to involve anyone else. She didn't want to put anyone in danger and even if Will and Jonathan's friends know about this, it seemed better to keep them in the dark from this new situation. Only now, two of them already know.