014. Play with Fire

(Ep

(Ep. 9: The Gate)

As soon as the car came to a halt, everyone took a breath of relief as they managed to survive this fast and furious ride.

All of them, with the exception of Steve, jumped out of the car and started gathering their supplies. It's only a matter of time until the gate closes and they need to hurry if they want to prove to be useful.

Still struggling to get out of the car, Steve tried ignoring the throbbing pain that surrounded his face and body. He leaned beside the car door and tried absorbing what he was witnessing. "Where are you going?" he began, watching as Mike walked past him and ignored him, "What are you, deaf? Hello? We are not going down there right now. I made myself clear."

Gwen walked towards him and handed him some goggles and a face covering, "We're doing this whether you like it or not, so shut up and help us, or just stay here and wait."

Steve refused to grab the supplies and continued contradicting her, "No, there's no chance we're going in that hole, all right?"

"You're a real pain in the ass, you know that?"

"Gwen, please don't do this. It's too dangerous-" The bruise marks in the shape of handprints around her throat caught his attention and made him forget about everything as he seriously hopes it isn't what he thinks. "Did he do this to you?"

"What?"

"Did that son of a bitch hurt you?"

She covered her neck as soon as she realized what he was referring to. The last thing she wanted was for Steve to try and confront him again when he ended up in worse shape than Billy, so she forced a smile and ignored his question, "Did you forget that I was fighting someone as well?"

Steve knew her well enough to know she was lying. The way she avoided looking directly at his eyes, up to the way she moved her hair back, and how forced her smile was, it was clear that Billy did in fact hurt her.

"I'm going to kill that son of-"

"Calm down, Rambo. You're seriously messed up right now so that would be a terrible mistake."

"I don't care! He hurt you and I'm not going to let him get away with it!" he exclaimed.

She placed the supplies down before saying, "Well I care, and I don't want you to get hurt so please forget about it. If I can, then so can you."

Before he was able to respond, she walked away and helped the others get everything ready. Dustin had heard everything and decided to try and calm him down, "I know you're upset. I get it. I want to get back at him as well, but right now, we need to do this. A party member requires our assistance and it is our duty to provide that assistance."

Steve turned quiet and just listened to the kid knowing he's right, but he was afraid that any of them would get hurt. He can't imagine what he'd do if anything were to happen to them.