Forked roads...

AN: After a million years, I've updated. Yay~

No edit so thank you for any corrections.

*****

The early morning sun greeted Xander as he blearily opened his eyes.

Finely tiled ceilings, ornate carvings on the walls, and silk sheets tangled around his legs. The faint scent of citrus in the air, exciting his heart with its sweetness. He could even faintly hear the sounds of servants milling about, ready to follow whatever command he gave.

It was hell.

He was back in the palace.

Xander let out a breath, wishing he could go back to sleep. While he was in the lap of luxury, he was surrounded by vultures. He'd rather return to his dingy tents, sleeping on hay-filled mattresses with the scent of grime and blood in the air as long as he was surrounded by people he could trust.

Better yet, he'd prefer anywhere with anyone if his fae was with him.

He looked at the untouched pillow beside his. He imagined sky-blue locks and pale skin resting there. Sunny gold eyes would blink open and Qin Rong would smile. A sleepy greeting that would make his heart heat up.

Ah, I have to stop getting ahead of myself. He thought, patting his chest to calm himself down. I have to be patient.

Such a day will come.

In the meantime, he had things to do first.

"Your highness!" A voice called out from outside the door. "It is time to get up for breakfast.

Without waiting for a response, a servant came in. While they feared him for his exploits, they were assured he wouldn't spill blood within the palace.

This was the treatment Xander was used to, as the only people who knew just how dangerous he truly was were his own men. The palace and by extension, the staff, saw him as a pet hound, something to be sent out to fight but meekly eat out of the hands of its master.

It was an image he'd made for himself in the few days he'd been here. His father was no longer as wary as he was when Xander first returned home. His siblings, however...

"You are Golidan's servant, right?" Xander noted as he sat on the couch. He'd been dressed for over an hour before his arrival. In fact, he was waiting for someone to 'wake' him. "Why are you here?"

The man flinched, not expecting the prince who had only been in the palace for a few days to recognize him.

"I-I am a servant of the kingdom. My tasks take me wherever I'm needed, your highness."

"So my brother needs me this morning then." Xander guessed, getting up from his seat.

He knew someone would eventually notice his actions and confront him. His actions had been less than subtle as of later. Even outside his sudden disappearance on the night of the banquet, he'd been watched since he arrived back in the capital.

He just hoped his observers would keep their filthy fingers away from Qin Rong.

"Take me to him." He ordered, walking past the servant. Faintly, he could hear the man move away from him but he paid it no mind. He had more pressing matters to attend to.

Namely, his older brother, Golidan.

Out of all his siblings, he was the one Xander was most wary of. While he wasn't crown prince due to his weak constitution, he was capable enough to have been, had fate allowed him.

He was also the only 'neutral' prince among his siblings. He never affirmed or denied any affiliation so many saw him as neutral.

But Xander knew better.