Bloody and Black

AN: Again, the dreaded action scene makes it hard to finish a chapter. But I muscled through!

Woo!

*****

It burns.

His whole body burned like his flesh was being licked by flames. It was horrid, suffocating. Yet he refused to give in.

Because letting the flames burn him was the only way out.

If he tried to escape...

"I want to go home."

That small voice, one he recognized as his own, called out to the darkness, pleading for help.

But none ever came.

He'd run from that darkness but now he was pursued by flames. It burned his flesh black, promising a slow end if he didn't follow the call.

The darkness or the flames. The darkness was what the child had chosen, to be free but beyond the flames were-

It was waiting.

They were waiting.

He had to...

He must...

Go back.

Go back.

Go-

"Rong!?"

The flames dispersed and he was washed with a cool sensation that eased his racing heart. The call faded with every beat of his racing heart.

He was being called but... he didn't want to stay away. 

He could follow that call. It was safe.

He'd found his way 'home' at long last.

***

Xander had been pacing the floor, his nails ragged from bitting them to the nub. Yet even as blood filled his mouth, he didn't stop.

Rong.

His precious faery, Qin Rong.

Why wasn't he awake yet?!

He'd shooed Nik away, assuring him that the boy was just tired and that smothering him wouldn't help. He wasn't sure how much his brother believed his words but he was relieved when he saw him listen.

Nik was smart. He knew it was better for Xander to be alone.

But now that he was alone, the elder child felt his mood darken, wanting to do... something. His body buzzed with anger, wishing he was stronger. If he'd been stronger, Nik and Qin Rong wouldn't have been in danger in the first place.

He'd kept his faery from being taken but had those two pushed any harder...

The thought of Qin Rong being taken as he sat by helplessly was too much to bear.

Pushing down his tears, Xander sat next to Qin Rong as he laid in bed quietly. Sleeping so peacefully, the boy really did look like a doll, with skin like porcelain and just as smooth.

Yet what he longed for was to see those pretty gold eyes looking up at him.

Whether they were gleaming with anger and pride, Xander knew that the eyes he liked most belonged with this person. He wanted them on him.

How nice would it be if he could have those eyes be on him forever?

Yet those eyes remained closed, reminding him too much of how Nik had looked just weeks prior.