Return of the Ice Prince

AN: Some changes happened in between my planning of the chapter and my writing of the chapter, hence why it's late. It's not my fault that my characters don't always follow my script~

*****

Qin Rong was reeling, his mind scrambling to figure out what was going on. He hadn't heard his native tongue since those two but why would they be here?

Then again, who else in this world knows Mandarin other than them?

He really didn't want to think about it. Part of him was still somewhat resentful that he returned only to find an empty house but complaining about it was pointless. They were children so he shouldn't have expected anything from them.

But now he was faced with adults. Adults who were obstacles to his mission.

How troublesome.

He let out a silent breath, settling his heart as he kept an ear open. His mission was paramount at the moment. No matter how curious he was about things, he needed to get his target and leave.

He'd figure out why he was hearing his native tongue later.

After a minute of moving around, the man in the room left, his voice calling out to someone as he walked. When his voice got faint, Qin Rong moved in, slicing the tent open and slipping through.

The tent was, as expected, a mess but that wasn't an issue for Qin Rong. He knew what he was looking for and had been assured it would be front and center.

Whatever this thing was, both his client and that guy held an interest in it.

Qin Rong moved fast, his eyes skimming over every piece of paper. His target had a specialized seal on it, marked with a symbol of a sun embraced by wings. It was very distinct and shouldn't be hard to find.

Within moments, his hands brushed over the surface of the drawers, feeling something scrape against his fingers.

Ah, a false bottom! How clever but not clever enough.

It did, however, take him a minute to disable the booby trap attached to the drawer. Anyone else would have missed it and set off a silent alarm but Qin Rong wasn't just anyone. He was a professional.

That and the draw reeked of fire magic. Had he been reckless, he and the tent would have burst into flames.

Ah, these people are so troublesome.

Soon, he had the piece of paper in his hands, the gold wax seal glimmering in the candlelight. His palms buzzed as he held the paper, something about it making his body resonate.

Was there magic in this writing?

Before he could spend another second thinking about it, a chill ran through him. He ducked just in time for a strong gust of wind to slice through the air where his head had been.

Wind magic.

Rolling behind one of the desks, he waited as the man from before entered.

"Don't bother hiding. I know where you are." He called out, his tone light but with an undertone of menace.

Yet he hadn't attacked yet so he was either bluffing or he had some other motive. Considering his previous words, Qin Rong guessed the man wanted info.

"Just so you know, I have no interest in politics." He called out, letting the man know he wasn't affiliated with any prince. Qin Rong was a simple guy. Give him a job and he'll do it. There was no way he was interested in the inane power struggles that riddled the royal family.