...often meet in the middle

Xander followed the butler that greeted him at the door. The man was stern in demeanor and expression, showing nothing of himself when spoken to. A true professional considering what went on in this manor.

And he might have some training too. He thought, glancing at his feet. Regardless of the carpet, the fact his footsteps were soundless must have meant he wasn't just a butler.

Elder brother Golidan had suggested he use Lord Kitum to get into the event but the fact that he had such skilled men under him made him wonder if he was being used to spy on the man himself. It wouldn't surprise him. Golidan was the type to squeeze as much use out of a single opportunity as possible.

Still, Xander didn't mind being used this time. What he gained from it was a lot more valuable than his pride.

Entrance into the Full Moon Auction House.

It was a monthly affair, always around the night of the full moon. Rare and fantastical wares were gathered and sold to those who had the means to enter. And entering was the hardest part.

The Full Moon auction house sold any and everything that had value, so flesh was always on sale there. Rare animals and beasts were the most frequent products but it wasn't rare to find elves and humans on the list as well.

There were even rumors that there was once a Faery on the list of products to be sold but nothing came of it.

Such a practice was well known by the noble classes but even the king couldn't waltz in. This was the power that the Full Moon auction house had. Ties to various nations and even a few churches. But regardless of status, all who attend required three things to enter as a newcomer.

An invite, an escort, and a product to the auction.

While simple on the surface, acquiring even one was difficult. An invite was offered only to members. As such, one had to know someone who was not only a member but willing to give up their invitation. Considering what one could find at the auction, that was not a simple task.

The second requirement was an escort. This person acted as an authentication for the first time patron. This person acts as a guide for the newcomer and places their reputation on the line to support the newcomer. This person also has to be a member.

Lastly, is the product. This is the easiest to acquire but comes with its own set of dangers. While a product can be anything, if the organizers find the product lacking, the newcomer can then become the product.

No loose ends.

Having just the invite and an escort meant that the newcomer was the product. Having only a product and escort meant you weren't a member. Lacking an escort meant there was no one to confirm your identity and vouch for you.

This system prevented spies from coming in, the venue running out of products, and ensured secrecy as anyone found suspicious was turned into a product.

It was clear why such a thing had lasted for as long as it did. The auction house had been around since before the formation of a few of the nations.

And Xander sought to take it down.

It would be a long process but if he could get a membership, he could gather the necessary information to do it. If nothing else, he could gain enough power to usurp the crown prince's position.

Once he was king, he'd snip away at the auction house's power until they were nothing but a distant memory.

This would take years, as their net was wide but it was something to strive for.