Day on the town

AN: After writing this chapter, I've come to realize I am absolute shit at writing and/or planning action scenes. Woe is me~

*****

The next day was hectic for various reasons. Mainly, that bitch housekeeper, Miss Pellot or whatever, showed up again. The fact she hadn't come by in almost two weeks showed that she truly had intended for her last delivery to kill Nik and Xander.

Fucking bitch.

Qin Rong listened in for a while when she arrived. She was visibly surprised when she saw that not only was Xander alive and well but bursting with energy.

Qin Rong, while not good with kids, was great at keeping himself alive. Adding two more mouths to his plans was nothing!

Her face nearly cracked as she tried to pretend she wasn't shocked by Xander's condition, talking to him much more reverently than before. Qin Rong was curious as to why but couldn't stick around, as he had to be a babysitter.

So he left.

What was said between the child and the adult would remain a mystery for years to come, despite how much of an effect it would have on his fate. At that time, how was he to know?

While that was happening, the mercenary had been tasked with watching over Nik, who refused to stay still. They had decided to keep Nik's sudden recovery a secret as there was no way to explain it without revealing Qin Rong's presence.

Xander had wanted to, sure his father would be happy to hear the news but Qin Rong shot the idea down fast.

"Oi, haven't you been paying any attention?" He snapped, staring down at the child. "That bi-lady wanted you and Xiao Ni dead. I doubt it was something she decided on her own. That means you have unseen enemies."

Xander wilted, knowing Qin Rong was right but disliking it. He knew things were... chaotic back home yet he couldn't help but want to tell his father the good news.

"What should we do then?"

"Obviously, get stronger but hide your talents." Qin Rong stood up, looking over the two boys. "That way, they will stop being concerned about you."

"So it's like a game?" Nik asked, raising his head from his book. He'd only been half-listening, not very interested in this kind of grownup talk. Yet this part sounded fun.

"Yep, the rules are simple. Amass strength while not letting anyone know what you have."

When Qin Rong had said it, he hadn't expected they'd take to it so well. Nik was an easy one. He was a child so there was no way anyone would suspect this kid of being a genius. While his speech still slurred like any child his age, his skills were not to be underestimated.

Not far behind, Xander excelled at most things it seemed. Put a book in front of him once and he could recite it back word for word. It was crazy how smart he was. He'd even taken to copying Qin Rong's morning exercises, jogging in the morning, and properly stretching like he'd done it all his life.

It was crazy!

What the hell was up with these kids?! Weren't they only just hitting the double digits? They should be playing with blocks and struggling to count, not expertly translating books like it was nothing.

Was it just him? Was he the idiot? Or maybe he'd just found himself saddled with two unreasonably genius children?

Ah, what a disastrous fate this poor man was facing.

But at the very least, this meant he didn't have to hold back with them. He had been worried he wouldn't be able to deal with treating kids gently, as he wasn't the type to coddle anyone. If these kids were truly as smart as they seemed, he might not have to baby them.