Scandal

AN: A halloween treat for y'all~

*****

After hearing Xander's words, Qin Rong was left in a daze. He couldn't be sure which part affected him most. Was it his thankful expression that spoke of years of being misunderstood? Or his tone, like he was freed from some kind of heavy burden.

Thank you.

Even remembering that moment sent shivers through him. His face felt hot and he wanted to scream.

How could two simple words sound so impactful?!

Qin Rong wasn't used to such heartfelt thanks. In this life or his previous one, most people weren't honest, and rarely were their words sincere. He'd gotten used to veiled threats and lies of omission.

Yet even after abandoning Xander for so long, that guy could still so easily speak his mind and open up.

He was either an idiot or way too trusting.

Or both.

Either way, Qin Rong could only sit back on the couch as he waited for Xander's return. Their dance had caught a lot of people's eye, as he'd planned. He hoped that when Xander came back, they could sneak upstairs so he could complete his mission.

As he waited, he leisurely sipped his wine, enjoying the taste of the good stuff. While liquor was liquor, there was a clear distinction between the stuff found in bars and those served at royal balls.

The zeros on the price tags clearly weren't for show.

While it didn't get him drunk, the flavor appealed to him greatly, tasting distinctly of fruits. Maybe it was his Fae blood, but fruit-based drinks really appealed to him. For some reason he couldn't really understand, fruits made him feel... good?

It left him feeling buzzy, like a small electrical storm was forming in his head.

It tasted even better when it was offered to him by Xander. Like a tribute of some sort.

It was great~

Qin Rong sat back, enjoying the buzzy feeling as he waited for his new partner in crime to return. He felt excited, wanting to get the mission over with so he could hang out with his friend before the night ended.

Yet he didn't come back.

***

The night went on, with Qin Rong sitting alone. Others observed him, curious about the woman who caught the eye of a prince. A few even dared to draw closer but before they could, a well-dressed soldier would 'coincidently' block their way.

While then men in question smiled and paid the nobles their due respect, none of that courtesy reached their eyes. As such, the noble would quickly retreat.

All of this went unnoticed by Qin Rong, who was tapping his foot impatiently.

Where the hell was Xander?!

The mercenary jumped to his feet, his heels echoing as he stormed through the ballroom. Those around him moved away, still wary of the soldiers who seemed to be keeping watch over the beautiful guest.

Said guest was too focused on finding his partner in crime to pay any mind to all the attention he now had.

Slipping onto the terrace, he checked his surroundings before placing his thumb and forefinger to his lips. A shrill whistle rang through the air.

[Chirp?]

Looking down, he saw his Sodalis, Xiao Dao landing on the railing. The small yellow bird chirped, awaiting orders.