Chapter 1

I lay against the window, watching the sun rise over the dry summer air. My fingers clasp around a warm cup of tea, savoring the heat against my hands. Glass fogs with cold, the dregs of summer clinging to the edge of the earth. The warm wool of my favorite sweatshirt hugs to my cold body. It smells like old books and fresh coffee.

Barefoot creeping towards my bathroom door trying not to disturb the very much asleep house.

I always look in the mirror and wonder what led me to being here right now. One decision in my past could have led me to not being in this bathroom right now. I could have done something as a baby that led me to having a brain defect later in life that is so rare that scientists haven't discovered it yet and I would never know until one day I don't wake up.

I shake the obscured thoughts out of my head and wake up to reality. I quickly brush my teeth and quietly rush downstairs. My phone lights up with a text.

Dipshit Nation

Chris
We're outside scar

Scarlett
Coming

Ashton
Woah you're what now?!

Scarlett
Stfu

I grab my stuff, rolling my eyes before bolting out the house. I don't bother to wake my parents to say goodbye anymore. There's no point in suffering from their anger at me waking up.

I step outside immediately crossing my arms to protect me from the cold air as I run towards the minivan parked on the street.

"Fancy seeing you here" I say as I open the car door.

"Who invited her?" Eriss sarcastically rolls her eyes

"Die Eriss you know you love me" she turns around to face the girl in the back row of the car sitting alone.

"The most" she smiles.

"Where are we going and why did you guys make me wake up at 5 in the fucking morning" I complain.

"We're going to the beach to watch the sun rise and then we're gonna go to Walmart to get snacks and eat our lives away" Nick explains.

"Love it, but the beach is too fucking cold. I'll malfunction and die and you all can't survive without me because I'm the humour of the group"

"Scarlett I hate to be the one to break it to you but you're so unfunny that we were thinking about kicking you out the group" Chris nods with his lips pulled into a tight line.

"Alright see ya" I say as I begin to reach for the door handle before the car locks.

"Stop the bullshit" Matt says looking at me from the rear view mirror.

"Point fucking proven" I close my case leaning back and closing my eyes.

~

"Scarlett" I hear a voice whisper along with a hand on my shoulder nudging me.

"Scarlett wake up we're here"

I open my eyes to reveal Matt nudging me to get me out the car.

"5 more minutes" I mutter.