Chapter 14: The Forbidden Forest

The next night, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Thomas and Draco were being led to Hagrid's hut by Mr. Filch. Mr. Filch them spoke, " A pity they let the old punishments die. There was a time detention would find you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming." Draco gulped, as Hermione rushed by. He then continued, "You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight. He's got a little job to do inside the dark forest." Hagrid suddenly appeared with a crossbow before he sniffled, "A sorry lot this, Hagrid. Oh, good God, man, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?" Filch asked.

Hagrid sniffed and sighed, "Norbert's gone. Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony." he told them.

"Well, that's good, isn't it? He'll be with his own kind."  Hermione asked him.

"Yeah, but what if he don't like Romania?" Hagrid asked, making Finch roll his eyes, "What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby, after all." Hagrid continued. 

"Oh, for Gods sake, pull yourself together, man. You're going into the forest, after all. Got to have your wits about you." Finch ordered, not caring for Hagrid's sob story.

Draco then spoke, "The forest? I thought that was a joke! We can't go in there. Students aren't allowed. And there are..." a wolf howl was suddenly heard, "...werewolves!"

Finch looked at Draco, "There's more than werewolves in those trees, lad. You can be sure of that." he said, making Draco frightened. "Nighty-night." he told them before leaving to head back to the castle.

After an awkward silence, Hagrid spoke, "Right. Let's go." 

In the Forbidden Forest, the group, with Fang, Hagrid's dog, walked along a path to a tree. Hagrid suddenly stopped, bent down and dipped his fingers in a silver puddle. He pulled out his fingers and rubbed them together. A silver trail smeared with his fingers, grabbing Harry's attention, "Hagrid, what's that?" he asked.

Hagrid stood back up, "What we're here for. See that? That's unicorn's blood, that is. I found one dead a few weeks ago. Now, this one's been injured bad by something." he answered. Thomas noticed Harry staring off into the distance and looked where Harry was staring at, only to see nothing. Harry then quickly looked back at Hagrid, "So, it's our job to find the poor beast. Ron, Hermione, you'll come with me." he told them. "Okay." Ron replied. Hagrid then looked at Harry and Thomas, "And Harry, Thomas, you'll both go with Malfoy." he ordered. 

Draco grimaced, as Harry and Thomas nodded, but of course, Draco had to give his input, "Okay. Then I get Fang!" he exclaimed.

Hagrid sighed, "Fine. Just so you know, he's a bloody coward." Hagrid told them, making Fang whine. Thomas rubbed Fang's head to cheer him up as they all split up.

Harry, Thomas, and Draco were walking through a part of the forest, with Fang leading. Draco had the lamp in his hand as he spoke, "You wait till my father hears about this. This is servant's stuff." he said.

Thomas chuckled at his remark, "You and I have very different definitions of 'servant stuff'." he said.

"If I didn't know better, Draco, I'd say you were scared." Harry added.

Draco took offense and replied with a scoff, "Scared, Potter!?". Suddenly, the trio heard a howl from behind them and turned around. Draco turned to Harry and Thomas, "Did you hear that?" he asked, but Harry and Thomas ignored them. The trio quickly continued to walk off, with Draco walking faster than the other 2. "Come on, Fang." he ordered. "Scared..." Draco added quietly with a unbelievable tone.

Eventually, Harry, Draco and Thomas approached a flat ground with gnarled roots all around them from the large trees. Fang began sniffing the ground and stopped before growling. Harry asked, "What is it, Fang?".

Draco, in the meantime, saw someone in the distance. A hooded figure. The figure was crouched over a dead white horse. Thomas noticed Draco being frozen with fear, "You alright?" he asked him with Harry looking up at him as well. The 2 then looked at the direction Draco was staring and their eyes widened. Harry's breathing intensified as Thomas froze. Suddenly, Harry gasped as he put his hand on his scar, feeling an immense pain. The hooded figure also looked up at the 3 boys. They could now see the figure's face more clearly. Silver blood was dripping from it's mouth, which terrified Draco.

Draco screamed with pure fear and ran away with Fang, "HELP!!!" he yelled.

Thomas and Harry saw Draco run off and shook Harry's shoulder, "Come on! We have to go!" he yelled at him, but Harry wouldn't move. Both looked at the figure in front of them, who was standing up and began advancing to the 2 boys as if he was hovering. Harry and Thomas began backing away, but suddenly tripped over the roots. The 2 crawled backwards into a corner, the figure coming closer and closer when suddenly, they heard the sound of hoof-beats. A horse jumped over them and in front of the figure. The horse reared at the figure, making it retreat, flying away. Harry and Thomas gathered themselves and stood up to see the horse, except it wasn't. the horse had the upper body of a man. It was a centaur. The centaur began walking towards them, "Harry Potter, Thomas Jacobs, you both must leave. You 2 are known to many creatures here. The forest is not safe at this time. Especially for the both of you." the centaur told them.

"But what was that thing you saved us from?" Harry asked.

"A monstrous creature. It is a terrible crime to slay a unicorn. Drinking the blood of a unicorn will keep you alive even if you are an inch from death. But at a terrible price. You have slain something so pure that the moment the blood touches your lips, you will have a half-life. A cursed life." the centaur replied, gesturing to the dead unicorn.

"But who would choose such a life?" Thomas asked.

"Can you boys think of no one." he asked them back.

Harry got it though, "Do you mean to say... that that thing that killed the unicorn... that was drinking it's blood... that was Voldemort?" Harry asked.

The centaur leaned close to them so they were face to face, "Do you know what is hidden in the school at this very moment?" he asked.

Thomas and Harry realized what it was, "The Philosopher's Stone." they said in unison. Suddenly, they heard Fang barking from behind them. Harry and Thomas looked back to see Hagrid, Hermione, Ron and Draco appear. Hagrid had his crossbow at the ready, but lowered it when he saw the centaur, which he recognized as Firenze.

"Harry! Thomas!" Hermione yelled in joy.

Hagrid greeted Firenze, "Hello there, Firenze. I see you've met our young Mr. Potter and Mr. Jacobs.". Hagrid then looked down at Harry and Thomas, "You both alright there?" he asked them. Both nodded quickly.

Firenze then began speaking to Harry and Thomas, making them turn towards him, "Harry potter, Thomas Jacobs, this is where I leave you. You're safe now. Good luck." he said before rushing off into the darkness and leaving the group who were staring at the dead unicorn in shock and horror.