Chapter 17: The Talking Doors

They soon opened the door and entered a room to see it filled with... small golden 'birds'. "Curious. I've never seen birds like these." Hermione commented.

"They're not birds. They're keys." Thomas said as one flew by in front of his head.

"And I'll bet one of them fits that door." Harry added, referring to the wooden door that was on the nearby wall.

They came upon a broomstick that was suspended in the air, "What's this all about?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know." Harry replied. Ron then took his wand out and headed towards the door with Thomas and Hermione following behind, leaving Harry behind and staring at the broomstick. He brushed his hand over the stick curiously, "Strange."

Ron rattled the lock on the door before pointing his wand at it, "Alohomora!" he yelled, making it just rattle again. He shrugged as he turned to the rest of the group.

"It was worth a try." Thomas encouraged.

Hermione groaned as she turned to Harry, "Ugh! What're we going to do? There must be a thousand keys up there!" she yelled.

"We're looking for a big old fashioned one. Probably rusty like the handle." Ron pointed out as Harry looked up among the keys for the key Ron described.

He caught it and pointed up, "There! I see it! The one with the broken wing." he directed. He looked at the broom, having an idea of what he had to do...

"What's wrong, Harry?" Hermione asked, noticing his hesitancy.

He looked up at her, "It's too simple." he replied.

"Oh, go on, Harry! If Snape can catch it on that old broomstick, you can!" Ron encouraged.

"Ron's right. You're the youngest Seeker in a century!" Thomas added. Harry nodded at his friends and grabbed the broomstick. All the keys suddenly charged in 1 direction- right at Harry. He quickly climbed on, swiping at them as he did so.

His friends watched in worry, "This complicates things a bit." Ron commented.

Harry pushed himself off into the air and flew off after the key. The other keys followed him close behind. He flew up and around all the obstacles in the classroom, until finally... Harry grabbed the key.

He zoomed past his friends, "Catch the key!" he yelled before he threw the key in Hermione's hand. She headed for the lock while Harry distracted the other keys chasing him. Hermione put it in the lock.

"Hurry up!" Ron yelled.

The door finally opened, and Hermione and Ron rushed through, followed by Harry on his broom. They quickly shut the door behind him just as the keys slammed up against it. 

They eventually found themselves in a dark room with large broken chess pieces all around it. There was a large chessboard with chess pieces on it as well. The 4 made their way towards it, "I don't like this. I don't like this at all." Hermione said.

Thomas nodded in agreement, "You're right about that."

"Where are we? A graveyard?" Harry asked.

Ron knew otherwise, "This is no graveyard." He sighed in amazement, "It's a chessboard." he said and he walked out onto the marble board before coming to a stop. The flames suddenly lit around the board, illuminating the board and the GIANT players. Harry, Thomas and Hermione came up with him.

Thomas looked past the pieces on the other side and saw their way to the next room, the next door, "There's the door." directed, pointing right at it.

They walked across the board, towards the door. Suddenly, as they reached the line of pawns on the opposing side, the pawns brought up their swords, blocking their path. The three jumped and backed up wearyingly. Thomas let out a sigh, "That was sort of unnecessary." he said.