The First Son

Ah! But what First Son am I referring to! That is the question!

***********************************

The moment Sophia stepped into the kitchen she understood that her morning would not follow a typical routine. She knew because her father stood waiting for her. He stood in a manner that wouldn't have betrayed the fact that he waited for her but Sophia knew he was. He leaned against the kitchen counter with his mug off coffee but no phone. He was waiting.

"If you plan to convey bad news I would prefer it if you waited until I'm done with my breakfast," she said.

Intaking bad news on an empty stomach killed all desire to eat.

"It's not bad news," Mason said. "I would call it neutral news."

"I highly doubt that. Neutral news could be told through text. You are waiting in person to tell me. I ask that you please wait."

Her father accepted that request and Sophia leisurely ate her bowl of cereal. Part of it was to give herself time to speculate what the news could pertain to. Part of it was to see how long her father would remain silent. It gratified her that he held out until she dropped her spoon into the empty bowl.

"Zander Rutherford will be attending Hamilton Prep starting today," Mason said.

Sophia slipped off her barstool and walked to the dishwasher. "Okay but I don't see how the First Son attending my school will effect me."

"I know you aren't aware of this but the previous time we had dinner with the Rutherfords people made speculations. It was thought interesting that a former First Son's daughter and the current First Son could be connected in some way."

Sophia regarded her father. "I was thirteen at the time. What type of active love life did people imagine I was having?"

"I won't begin to try and understand the workings of reporters and what they believe are topics of discussion. I'm telling you this because eyes will be on you and Zander."

"Okay but I do not believe they will find anything of interest. The only commonality I can find between myself and  Alexander Rutherford is the fact that we are both bi-racial. And that is a very vague commonality. I predict we won't have many interactions."

"I see one more. You have fathers that are people of importance."

"You were someone of importance. His father is someone of importance."

Mason smiled. "I feel like I have fallen off the pedestal in your mind."

"You haven't. I think your work now is more important than once having held a title."

On the counter, Sophia's phone buzzed and she didn't have to look at it to know it was Harrison alerting her to the fact that he was waiting for her outside.

"Be nice to Zander," Mason said. "But not too nice, you don't want to cause rumors."

"I am still working on how to not insult people without intending to. I feel like the fine line between nice and not too nice won't be easy to walk."

"I think you can do it."

Sophia nodded. "Okay. But either way this morning I have third-level French, I don't imagine I'll have to deal with the dilemma until later."

As Sophia gathered up her backpack, her father wrapped an arm around her shoulders and kissed her head. She leaned into her embrace, the display of affection a rarity to both of them. Sophia's mother normally took on the role of overly affectionate parent. Though Sophia never shied away from it, when it wasn't constantly given she didn't feel unloved. Affection came in many forms.