In The Entryway (Part 3)

Okay, okay here is it the third part. This goes with Rear Window and Closed Doors. So make sure you've read those. Now here we go!

***********************************

"Oh my gosh stop staring at it so long," Bridgette said. "I know he's not the best looking but he's really kind and funny. Like last Friday I was coming out of chem lab and..."

Carter listened as Bridgette told a story of how her crush, Edwin, picked up a book she'd dropped. For all Carter cared, Edwin could have looked like a pineapple with googly eyes attached to it and it wouldn't have mattered. What mattered was the way Bridgette lit up when talking about him. The way she got this giddy tone to her voice.

In high school, Carter had spent hours analyzing the tones of girls in the locker room when they talked about their crushes. She'd then watch which would actually get together. From there she'd note who lasted and who didn't. The ones who didn't last were who spoke with an awed, dreamy tone. They usually felt honored to have the guy even look at them as if it were a prize. The ones that lasted were the girls who spoke easily and almost as if there was this bubble of laughter inside them.

Hearing the way Bridgette spoke of Edwin, she had a feeling it was who he was that had drawn Bridgette's attention. The kindness he showed and the humor that made her laugh easily. Carter didn't need to know anything else to hope the best for her step-sister. Her happiness was all she wanted.

"So some of my friends have decided that we're going to the movies tomorrow night and invited him and his friends. You have to help me pick out what I'm going to wear, okay?"

"I'm not sure how much help I'll be in that area but I will do my best."

"Thank you."

Bridgette let out an excited squeal and wrapped her arms around Carter's waist. Just as quickly she pulled back.

"Wait, you're an Agent, you're not going to like tail me to make sure nothing happens, right?"

"The thought hadn't crossed her mind."

And it hadn't but once planted there, Carter didn't think it was the worst decision. She liked movies, she would be interested in going to see one randomly tomorrow night. And if it happened to be the same one as Bridgette and her friends, that was a bizarre coincidence.

Bridgette laughed. "You could if you wanted to. I wouldn't let anyone know what you were doing."

Carter tapped Bridgette's nose. "It's cute that you'd think you'd even be able to spot me."

"I could totally spot you! I know what you look like and that you were planning to tail me."

Carter simply smiled and Bridgette grabbed her arm, shaking it. "I could! You're pretending I couldn't but I totally could. Just watch, tomorrow you'll tail me and I'll instantly spot you."

"Sure you will."

Bridgette looked ready to defend herself when Mason poked his head in. He paused as he saw the two sisters sitting close together with their legs curled up on the guest bed.

"We have a call from the Director," Mason said.

Bridgette sighed and let go of Carter's arm. "Back to work?"

"Back to work."

Carter climbed off the bed.

"Ask him if you can have tomorrow night off. There's this movie showing that I think you might like."

"Ha. Ha."

Bridgette grinned like she was the funniest person in the world. But to Carter, she didn't have to be to make her want to smile in response.