Taking Him Along (Part 4)

As you have eyes, I assume you see that title and notice that it is part of a set therefore those previous chapters should probably have been read before you read this! The last one is titled The Assembly.

***********************************

Sophia felt she had been brave enough for the day. She no longer wanted to have to be brave. Coming to school without knowing the state her fellow classmates would be in and view her in, that she had been brave for. Facing half of the day with their looks, whispers, and comments, she'd been brave. The assembly, feeling their attention split between the podium and her, that took bravery.

But walking into the cafeteria without Kennedy and Harrison, who were serving lunch detention for being out of uniform, that was one step of bravery she felt she did not have.

If she didn't go to lunch, would that negate the bravery of the whole day, or could bravery be fractioned out? Would her father see the morning's bravery and forgive her for her lack of afternoon bravery?

One question trailed another in an infinity loop in her mind. With her eyes closed, sitting in the corner of the second story of the library, with her legs crossed and hands resting in her lap, Sophia could visualize the questions like a train on the figure eight track.

Music played in her ears, keeping, what small part of the world was in the library, muffled. It gave space for her to judge whether it was okay for her to be sitting alone instead of facing a room full of her peers.

Though the evidence of Jenny, Sasha, and Mara's actions against Sophia had been brought to light, that hadn't stopped some from disregarding it. The fact of Sophia being the victim had been brought to light still some chose to stay in the darkness. That meant her reception in the cafeteria was unpredictable.

Logically, she knew many would let the issue rest, but what amount of others would hold it against her? And hold it against her, they would. Months of data from being at Hamilton showed her that though something was true, it did not mean it would be believed. Therefore, she would be at a disadvantage in the cafeteria.

Was Zander on her side? Yes. But his table held people that she felt looked at her like a science experiment, always poking at her to see what she reacted to. There would be no peace sitting with Zander. She did not like the company he kept. She didn't think he did either but like her, she knew he did not understand how to make them go away.

The muted sound of footsteps penetrated Sophia's music but she did not react. Eyes closed and tucked into a corner, she hoped that whoever moved about would leave her in peace.

The footsteps stopped and she sensed someone near. She squeezed her hands together, wishing them to leave. But no sound of retreat came but neither was her peace disturbed.

After a minute, Sophia eased the grip on her hands. Something light landed on top of them and finally, she opened her eyes. On her lap, lay a torn sheet of notebook paper with a drawing on it. It was a cartoon bear hugging a panda. A comment bubble hung above the bear's head with the words: Cheer up, Panda.

Sophia lifted her gaze to Zander sitting crosslegged from her.

"You can draw," she stated, pausing her music.

She no longer felt the need to block out the world. Not since the world meant Zander.

"I can," Zander said, in French keeping his word and only speaking in that language to her for the day, making her feel as if they had a small bubble around them when they spoke. "But basic animals. Beyond that, my skills don't go very far. I mean I want to be better but there are a lot of things I want to be better at and I focus on those over this. This I usually do for fun or when I'm bored. I do it a lot in class. And I thought that you might be cheered up by something like this, so I drew it for you."