Breaking In (Part 4)

The saga that freaking keeps going without my want for it to do so! Starts with Rear Window (Part 1) if you didn't know.

***********************************

"Carter. Carter!"

Carter snapped out of her stunned state and quickly raced up the stairs. Mason's wedding ring imprinted her palm as she clutched it fiercely in her hand.

"Carter, what's going on?" Donovan demanded.

"I don't know. Just hold on."

It was possible that Carter was overreacting. Mason hadn't responded to her calling out to him. For him that wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary, he didn't like people calling out to him like a dog. And he detested it even more when Carter did it, mainly because it was her. Thinking about it that way, meant that it could all be fine.

Except for his wedding ring being on the floor of the foyer. There was no logical explanation for that.

When Carter entered Bridgette's room, she found it empty but looking exactly as they'd left it. All their equipment had been packed up. All the monitors on the desk were gone. Besides the suitcases in the corner, it looked like it had the first time they'd entered it. But there was no Mason.

"Mason!" Carter called out again.

Still, she received no reply. After checking each room and finding them empty, she returned to Bridgette's room. She approached the desk, trying to find anything that would explain Mason's absence. There was nothing, everything looked normal.

"Where is Mason, Carter?" Donovan said, his tone tinged with concern.

"I don't know," Carter said, making another slow circle of the room. "He isn't here. I found his wedding ring in the foyer, but nothing looks messed with."

"Call him. He might have gone out."

"Okay. I'll let you know what he says."

Carter hung up and called Mason. Before the second ring even went through a message arrived from Mason.

Mason: Went out for dinner. Be back in a few.

Despite the easy, reassuring message, Carter couldn't let herself relax.

Carter: Your wedding ring was in the foyer.

Mason: Weird. Must have fallen off. Keep it safe for me until I get back.

Again it felt normal. The way Mason didn't make full sentences was in line with how he usually messaged. But still, Carter couldn't shake this feeling inside her.

Carter: Of course, sweetheart.

Mason: Thanks, babe.

Carter sprinted towards her bags, yanking the zipper open, calling Donovan as she worked.

"Carter-"

"They took Mason! Donovan, they have Mason!"

"Carter, tell me what's going on."

Carter tossed her phone to the floor but froze as her eyes caught something. It was a single red stain. Along with the stain she released there was a faint odor of bleach in the air that she'd missed. That meant other spots had been cleaned. Anger and dread invaded her veins. Turning away from the single spot, she removed her gun case and shoulder holster.

"Carter!"

"I need you to call the Bureau and have them send agents to my location," Carter said, ripping her jacket off. "I need you to tell them Mason has been taken and I'm going after him."