First Date

Something you wanted for a while and it took me ages to get to you.

***********************************

Kennedy jerked upright and rubbed her eyes, trying to understand what was going on. As her sleepy vision cleared, she noticed the book on her lap and realized she'd fallen asleep reading. Again.

After checking the time, she tossed the book to the end of her bed and switched off her lamp, leaving her room glowing with the soft lights that lined her ceiling.

She snuggled down into her blankets, already halfway back to sleep when she heard the faint click of a door closing. She stilled, listening. A floorboard creaked.

Instantly awake, she whipped aside her blankets and crossed to her doorway. Instead of opening her door, she pressed herself against the wall, waiting.

The soft sound of creeping footsteps drew closer. When they stopped outside her door, she held her breath. Her heart hammered against her chest as adrenaline fueled her nerves, making her fingers tingle. The handle turned slowly.

When the door swung open, it concealed Kennedy from view. A dark silhouette of a guy inched forward on tiptoes. Before he was out of reach, Kennedy grabbed the intruder's arm, spun herself into the circle of his arms, and slammed an elbow into his side. Bending over, she flipped him onto the carpet floor. The second he hit the ground, Kennedy knelt beside him, and grabbed a fist full of his shirt ready to strike.

"Kenny! Hold it, hold it, hold it!"

Squinting, Kennedy stared down at a wincing Harrison, hands raised in front of his face. She blinked, all her fight vanishing in an instant. Tentatively, Harrison dropped his hands away from his face. Kennedy let go of him and sank back on her heels, confused.

"That was terrifying," Harrison said, pushing himself up.

"What are you doing here?"

Harrison propped himself on his elbows and grinned up at her, the incident of her nearly beating him completely forgotten.

"I'm taking you on our first date."

After a second of staring at him, Kennedy climbed to her feet and got back into bed.

"Goodnight, Harrison."

Before she could tuck the blankets back around her, Harrison grabbed them.

"Don't be like that," he said. "I just said I was taking you on our first date and you're showing no interest nor excitement."

"Because it's one in the morning."

"And we're both awake."

"I look awful."

"You look awful most of the time I see you, so there's no difference."

Kennedy kicked out at him but Harrison only jumped back avoiding her blow and chuckling.

"Kenny, you know I've seen you look awful before. It isn't going to change now that we're dating and won't change when we're married."

At that, Kennedy eyed him skeptically, leaning her head in her hand.

"We haven't even had our first date and you're talking of marriage. Isn't that a bit of a leap?"

"Do you not see this ending with us growing into sarcastic old people who wield canes like weapons? Cause if not, maybe we shouldn't date since you don't see this going anywhere."

"You are so dramatic."

"And you are pointlessly stubborn at times."

They stared at each other for a long time, proving they both held a strong trait of stubbornness and Kennedy didn't own a monopoly on it.