Mason's Birthday (Mason's POV)

Someone wanted to see what the previous chapter: Mason's Birthday, would be like from Mason's POV and so you're wish is my command and delight!

***********************************

Mason rubbed the towel through his hair as he walked out of his bathroom and into his closet. He tossed the towel aside and unhooked one of the million and one white collared shirts from a hanger and put it on. As he buttoned it up, he heard knocking on his door. He didn't respond. A second later, his father stuck his head into the closet doorway.

"Good morning," the President said.

Mason jutted his chin to his father but that was the only greeting he gave. It was too early for him to pretend he was glad to see his father. Even though it had been two weeks, he still felt hurt over his father planning a state dinner on his birthday.

Despite the lack of warmth from Mason, his father entered the closet, his hands behind his back. Mason continued to get ready for school, using the excuse of searching for socks and his shoes as a reason to put his back to his father.

"I have a surprise for you," his father said.

Mason didn't answer, kneeling to lace up his shoes.

"I'm really sorry about the state dinner," his father said. "I wanted to make it up to you."

At this, Mason did lift his head.

"I know it will be short notice, but I had a birthday party put together for you at the Bradford hotel tonight. You can invite anyone you want."

Mason stood and crossed his arms. A birthday party at a hotel. Did he not get it? Mason hadn't wanted a birthday party on his birthday, he'd wanted a simple dinner with his parents, and that was it. Though how pathetic did that sound? He was now sixteen. What sixteen year old wants to spend time, much less a whole dinner, with his parents? Yeah, definitely not him.

"Sounds good," he said, turning away to grab his blazer.

Behind him, he sensed his father hesitate and then take a step back.

"Okay, I hope you have a good day at school," his father said.

"Yeah."

His father left and Mason stood motionless in the closet with one shoe still untied. A birthday party. What in the world would he do at a birthday party?

Mason stood there for so long that he hadn't moved when his mother appeared a few minutes later.

"Hey," she said.

Mason didn't know why but the First Lady using such a common and unpolished word like 'hey' always made him feel special. It helped him remember that the immaculate woman the world put on a pedestal was still his mom.

"Were you aware you were marrying an idiot or did you find out when it was too late?"

His mother let out a little breath as she crossed over to Mason. She took his shoulders and turned him to face her. With a half smile, she took one of the ties hanging on the rack and draped it around his neck.

"Your father, though brilliant in many other areas, oftentimes fails to see the simple solutions to the everyday problems."

"So he actually thinks I wanted a birthday party and not just to have dinner with the both of you?"

"Yes, because when he was growing up he wanted the birthday party and not the dinner."

"He expected that even when I told him exactly what I wanted?"