F O U R

I fucking hated being homeschooled

An at-home educational program consisting of six mandatory classes taught by a single instructor might appeal to some, but not to me. There was no way to cheat on tests, breaks meant nothing, and I didn't have anyone to confide in about how lame everything was.

You think having homework is bad? All the work I do technically counts as homework.

My instructor was my dad and he works as a professor for a neighboring college. He was responsible for the asynchronous classes, which meant he had more time to curate extremely boring lectures for me and my sister.

I found myself resting my chin on the palm of my hand as I used the other to fidget with my pencil. "So again, The Halyciane Environmental Toxic Substance Control is done to save what?" My dad asks out loud.

"Wildlife." Ikaris chirps out.

"Correct!" Her response manages to pull out a cheer from our dad. "Now the main components that utilize-"

"School is over." I interrupted with a tone that came out a lot more harsher than intended.

"Oh, right." He quickly fixed his glasses up at the clock on the wall and let out a tiny laugh in realization. "Well I guess that's it for today. I'll see you guys tonight for dinner!" He does a smile and gestures us out of his office.

I got up immediately while Ikaris stayed back to ask some questions. "Later." I quickly grabbed my skateboard and made my way outside the house.

My obsession with skateboarding started early when I remembered seeing my dad on a skateboard for the first time. I watched him glide through the air until finally performing a perfectly weighted kick flip that he had executed so effortlessly. At that moment it felt as if he did it just for me, like he knew just how mesmerizing I'd find it, enough for it to have such an everlasting impact on me.

Ever since then I've always wanted to be good at skateboarding myself. There was a priceless feeling of freedom and liberation that came with skateboarding, a feeling that I couldn't quite get anywhere else.

I skimmed the wheels against the wide open driveway that connected the backyard to the front yard. This new house was significantly much larger than the last one so I had plenty room to practice a couple tricks.

The current trick I'm working on is called a laser flip. It involves both of my feet maintaining a very specific place in their position to be able to pop and flip my board up in a unique aerial motion.

I know how to do it with my fingerboard but it's so much more cooler to be able to do it on an actual skateboard. Most of the time I'd fail my attempts at doing the trick but my dad tells me that practice makes perfect so never be discouraged.

I swiftly skated along the corners of our property until finally stopping to kick my board up with a deep inhale. I ran my hands through my hair and prepared my attempt at performing a well done laser flip.