T H I R T Y F I V E

"Morning

"Morning." Nikolai chirped from the dining table, his hands combined together in a ball of patient observation. "How'd you sleep?"

I walked over to him with quiet hisses and pained murmurs before finally looking up with a forced smile. "I slept great." I finished my hobble by sitting right beside him. "I'm also walking a whole lot better now, thanks to your ointment."

"Yeah, I can see that." He says approvingly. "I was wondering if you'd still like to know how to make it?"

"I would, yeah." I nodded, quickly furrowing my brows the moment he stood up to put on his brown shearling jacket. "Wait w-where are you going?"

"I'm going out to collect the herbs we need. it shouldn't take that long." He answered briefly. "Just rest here while I'm gone."

"No I-I wanna go." I fought right past the faint sting on my feet.

"Don't be an idiot, you can barely walk." He watched me brush right past him with a side-eye.

"I wanna go." I insisted, beating him outside of the large wooden cabin.

I took a deep breath and let the sunshine hit against my face, embracing the wind lightly caress my hair and face as I turned back around to face Nikolai with a light airy laugh. "This place is beautiful."

Nikolai stalled for an answer, his pupils visibly dilating on my face. "Mmph." He grumbled, locking the cabin door. "Stay close, we do this quick and clean, meaning you follow everything I say, got it?" Nikolai followed right after me with his hands buried right in his jean pockets.

"Got it." I meekly nodded, refraining from the urge to wonder off and observe a bed of flowers in the distance.

I followed right beside him on the overgrown path, shyly twiddling my fingers together as I occasionally glanced up at him wondering what he could possibly be thinking about. I had found myself in a really odd situation. Without the undeniable fact of Nikolai saving my life that night, I would probably be a lot more terrified of knowing that there was a werewolf right beside me right now. But the thing is even beyond Nikolai's cold and rugged exterior, I still couldn't help but feel a unique kind of warmth when I'm around him. It was an odd kind of warmth that I've never felt before, the same kind of warmth that I've only started feeling when he found me that night at the woods.

Lately, when I'm around Nikolai all I've been able to feel has been unexplainable heat.

Pure unexplainable heat.

"This area should have everything that we need." He let out deeply after a few more miles of us walking, crouching to get a closer look at the ground beneath us for key ingredients.

"May I help?" I asked softly.

Nikolai looked back with reluctance. "Sure, remember to stay close though."