S E V E N

I spent the entire night crying up at the moonlight, my exhaustion drifting me off to sleep, only to be awakened shortly after by the immense pain that continued to ripple all throughout my body

Taking beatings just before the weekend usually allowed me to heal my bruises and wounds up to avoid any suspicion for the following week. It meant that the marks on my skin played as a temporary barrier from my father giving me anymore, for now.

I clamped down on my teeth as hard as I could to suck up all the pain from my attempts to get my weak body out of bed. All my muscles and joints were collectively reacting to the beatings I had been given, pulling me down into a fit of hisses and grunts whenever I'd gather up enough courage to face the excruciating sensations embedded in my body both internally and externally.

After eventually getting up in tears, I stumbled towards my mirror and quickly got lost in shock at how horrible I looked. I slowly raised my shirt up and drew my breath at the various etches of shadows and discoloration that took over my fair skin. My heart ached at my sight as I questioned how much more will I be able to take. I had been turned into a mere shell of the person I used to be and it's gotten to a point where pain and misery is slowly becoming all that I know.

I momentarily closed my eyes at the thought of my mother for strength; I envisioned her large warm eyes and soft golden hair that closely resembled mine. She had endured a great deal of pain and misery before, but unlike me, she was not easily succumbed to it. Instead, she gracefully persevered until the very end with nothing but love and light in her heart.

She'd always tell me to keep my heart filled with love and light but it has gotten so very hard to do so.

Despite of my desire to return to bed, I decided to refrain from such luxury to get ready for the day. I had plenty of stuff to do and the first thing on that list was to be on time with my father's breakfast. I am only permitted to eat after he eats and since I wasn't allowed to have dinner last night and all the breakfast had been finished that same morning, all I've had was a piece of half-bitten toast two days ago.

I had set on making him what I usually cook for breakfast which was eggs, bacon, toast, and various sliced fruits that I prepared to fill up the table.

As soon as the table was set, the sounds of him getting up from his room and walking towards me never failed to shake me to my core.

"G-Good morning father, your breakfast is ready." My voice cracked as he grumbled, clearly still regaining himself after a night full of drinking. "I-I made you-" My voice was quickly cut off into a whimper once he had shoved me to the side and made contact with a bruise on my shoulder.

"I have a fence to fix and this is all you make?" He let's out an unimpressed chuckle before gulping down his coffee. "Tell me about these boys who's been holding you up from coming home on time."

I anxiously looked down and fiddled my fingers together. "They're from school. They beat me, even though I try my best to stay out of their way." I shamefully gulped at my weakness. "N-No matter what I do, they always find my route home." I couldn't bring myself to finish my words at the thought of the awful things they did to me.