T H I R T Y O N E

"What?" A swirl of emotions came right over me, a mix of surprise, disbelief, and an odd sense of realization all vying for dominance within

"What?" A swirl of emotions came right over me, a mix of surprise, disbelief, and an odd sense of realization all vying for dominance within. "Did you just say you're a vampire?" My mind raced, trying to process the words that had just spilled from Dydan's lips.

"Yes." He reluctantly answered as I could tell just how much that response took a toll on him, making it incredibly hard for me not to believe him.

I had always known there was something unique about Dydan, an air of mystery that had always drawn me in from the moment we've met. But a vampire? It was beyond anything I could have ever imagined.

"Like the ones that drink blood and stuff?" I whispered out, processing that this wasn't just some kind of dream or hallucination.

"I know, I know it sounds stupid but it's actually way more complex than that. I just used the word vampire because I figured it would only makes things much more easier for you to understand." Dydan watched me intently as his expression was blend of nervousness and vulnerability.

"B-But how is that possible? I mean you have a reflection, you don't burn up under the sun, you're warm, and when you found me at the cliff you didn't need permission to enter my house." He took a few steps closer to silence my conspiracies.

"Listen, I'm only half-blooded so I don't have any of those weaknesses except for one thing, which is blood-your blood." Dydan's voice trembled as he continued to explain his secret to me. "That night at the cliff I had formed something with you called a Blood Bond and-" All of my surroundings tuned out to listen to Dydan's in depth explanation about the entire situation: the countless nights spent fighting his primal instincts for me, what he's done to protect me from danger; and the terminal effects that this so-called Blood Bond has had on his health.

"So all this time you've been sick because of me?" My voice faintly let out as I grazed my fingers right over the necklace he had given me.

Dydan's jaw momentarily clenched before he began to speak once more. "I know I could've told you about all of this much sooner but I was so scared to lose you. I get it if you wouldn't want anything to do with me anymore, I-I'm a monster and I've hid it from you this entire time-"

"Dydan-" I immediately turned back and faced him in attempts to calm down his broken ramble.

"I've put you in danger this entire time, and you deserve so much more than that." The weight of his revelation hung heavy in the air around us.

"Stop it, I'm not going anywhere." I whispered as he slightly flinched away from my fingers gently landing against his cheeks due to his unbridled shame.

"Don't you get it?" He brokenly spoke. "Something is wrong with me, I'm not normal Leone."

"Listen to me, nothing is wrong with you." I reached my hand out, seeking Dydan's trembling fingers as I kept my touch reassuring and tender. "You're perfect just the way you are."