T H I R T Y S E V E N

As consciousness reluctantly seeped back into my drowsy mind, I found myself momentarily suspended in shock due to the pounding ache on the back of my head

As consciousness reluctantly seeped back into my drowsy mind, I found myself momentarily suspended in shock due to the pounding ache on the back of my head. The stale air of the dimly lit basement clung onto my senses, heavy with a sense of confinement as the air mingled with the chilling dampness that seemed to permeate every inch of the confined space.

The eerie silence was abruptly shattered by a resounding voice. It was Hudson, standing only a few distances away from me with his face etched with anxiety and an unmistakeable look of pure despair.

The terrifying sight of him had brought back countless memories, causing a sudden jolt to make me stand up on my toes.

"Hey, hey-it's okay, look, I'm chained, I'm not gonna hurt you alright?" Hudson's frantic voice sliced through my oppressive silence.

I ran my hand against the aching pain on the back my head. "What happened?"

"That sick fuck locked us up in here, man!" Hudson's urgency seeped into every syllable, amplifying the gravity of our situation. "But hey, listen, you're the only one who's not chained up so maybe you could try and do something!?"

I struggled to get up, letting out sharp hisses and groans as I tried my best to comply even though my feet have barely gotten the chance to even fully heal yet. "It's locked." I tearfully announced, my discomfort and fear only further intensifying as I fought against the basement's doorknob. "W-What do I do?" Casting my gaze back towards Hudson, I found him watching me with fearful contemplation, a sobering reminder of the nightmarish predicament that we were truly in.

"Maybe try and call out for help?" He suggested with a hoarse voice.

I pounded onto the thick metal and cried out. "It's no use." I buried my hands against the side of my head. "We're under a basement in the middle of nowhere, no one would ever hear us."

After awhile of my mind racing, I decided to listen in on the other side for any clues on how to get out of here. "What do you hear?" Hudson called out from behind me as loud sounds began to emit from the distance.

"It's hard to tell. I-I think I hear footsteps, but I'm not sure." I faintly whispered, and with a newfound resolve I took a deep breath. "Nikolai, is that you!? Please! You can't do this to us! Please, just let us go!" I raised my clenched fist and delivered yet another flurry of powerful knocks and agonized yells, each one reverberating through the cold and barren chamber.

As my commotion reverberated through the air, I instinctively sprang back, my veins pulsating with adrenaline once sound of the door unlocking from the other side reached my ears. My jaw dropped at the sight of a familiar silhouette clearing right through the haze of dust and debris. It was Nikolai's figure emerging, heaving with exertion. "Nikolai!?" I called out, my voice filled laced with utter confusion.

"Stop making so much goddamn noise!" Nikolai forcefully seized my wrist, his voice brimming with furious urgency.

A fearful whimper escaped from me, echoing through the basement as he hauled away from the door. "Nikolai Stop! Please! This isn't like you!"