T W E L V E

"Which specific protein only forms in hominids?" My dad asks, standing right before two images being displayed by the projector

Ikaris raised her hands and answered. "PSDH-X."

"That's correct!" My dad smiles before pressing onto the next slide. "This protein is an essential component to human's central nervous system and its development." He stops talking for a just a moment to glance over to me. "Dydan I'm going to need you to pay attention please, this is going to be on next week's test."

I kept my body carelessly leaned back against my chair as I briefly looked at his presentation, taking everything in only to be distracted once more by the clock at the corner in the room.

"School is over." I dryly muttered.

His mouth clicked in annoyance as he glanced at his watch and saw that I was right. "Alright then, class dismissed." Just before I could've left, he spoke out once more as he walked over to file some papers on his desk. "Except for you Dydan, I need to speak to you for just a moment."

"Fuck." I cursed quietly to myself, glaring at Ikaris who was watching me with pure amusement in her eyes.

"Now, please." My dad says sternly, causing me to throw my head up out of frustration before making my way towards him. "What's going on?"

"What?" I cluelessly shrugged at his vague question.

"You used to like learning about human biology but you barely even look at the presentation nowadays." I looked away in clear shame as I didn't know what to respond with. "Is it the lesson plan, should I switch it up a bit? Add something in? Maybe even take something out?"

"No." I answered in an assuring tone. "The lessons are fine."

"Is it about what happened at the dinner?" He asks. "I thought we cleared things u-"

"No." I quickly interrupt him. "I'm over that."

"Then what is it?" He asks without breaking his gaze off me.

"It's just-" My voice unintentionally died off quicker than I thought.

"It's what?" He asks with a raise brow. "What is it Dydan?"

I sighed and spewed out the lousiest answer before becoming too overwhelmed by the truth. "It's just one of those days." I met my hands against his desk with a few rhythmic taps before leaving.

I could feel his conflicted expression stab against my back as I returned to my room to play some video games. I figured I could pass the time just until my dad leaves for work so that I could go outside and get some fresh air.

I settled on playing Smash, barely ever losing unless my enemy resulted to spammed attacks or if they got lucky. My favorite characters to play varied between Wolf, Joker, or Pikachu. I'm quite good at all of them and have been cooped up at home long enough for me to remember various combos that would either benefit me in defense or offense. I glided the joystick over to my choice to play Pikachu, chuckling softly to myself as Leone kinda looked like another playable character on the roster named Rosalina.