Chapter 3

The subsequent silence in the room was only echoed by the noise of crickets rubbing their wings together in the tall grass of the yard; the window Akame had entered through left open and funneling the sound throughout the house's interior.

He didn't know what to make of her at first. Yet experience told him what he needed to know from her cold disposition.

A trained killer.

An assassin.

This wouldn't be the first time he had seen one. In fact, it was better to say that he had once lived with one. His past life's adopted father, Kiritsugu Emiya, a man whose notorious renown amongst the magic community landed him the title of the Magus Killer. A special designation earned after his numerous successful 'hits' against other mages.

In that regard, he might have had been the same in the eyes of the aristocratic magical families whose lineage spanned for several centuries. There was a reason he was dubbed with the moniker of the 'Second Magus Killer,' but then again, his targets had always been the one's who took their magecraft too far and effected the innocents.

Yet he digressed, those were memories to reminisce for another time. What mattered was the knowledge he could infer from them. Kiritsugu had many habits that were distinct from normal civilians.

Kiritusgu didn't talk much, rather he was socially awkward.

He preferred quiet places and would often look at others with a detached expression in his eyes. The sheer indifference commonplace amongst assassins. Furthermore, the only times the detached expression would leave his eyes was only when he shifted his gaze to the west, a trace of murderous intent filtering across them that Kiritsugu would never act upon.

Akame in comparison was tame. She still looked at things with the softness of one whose heart had yet to grow numb.

He had seen the way her taut expression softened when she had noticed the toys that his sibling had left lying on the ground. In fact, he had even carefully noted how she had stayed as far away from Artus and Anna's shared room as possible.

His impression of her had already shifted into something more positive at that point compared to when he had first sensed her cross the bounded field he had set up. Bounded fields were a type of magecraft based on topography which all magi knew how to establish to secure the location of their workshop. Naturally, he was no different, third-rate as many had once called him, but he liked to consider himself as specialized instead.

The point of the matter however was what he had felt while Akame triggered the surveillance function of his bounded field.

Killing intent.

It was why he had sprung into action so quickly, only to reassess his judgment after observing Akame.

Assassin though she may be, possessing a frigid disposition and apathetic regard, she was unable to hide her true personality. Everything he had silently inferred about her led him to the conclusion that she wasn't as unfeeling as she may have had appeared.

With the sheathing of her weapon, he too was quick to dismiss the swords he had created in the air using his magecraft; an art called Tracing which allowed him to manifest any weapon he had ever seen as a short overview of the skill.