Chapter 46

"Fire!"

Wave watched Syura continue to order the cannoneers and riflemen to shoot with mixed feelings. He'd been led to believe that the opponent before him was an enemy that threatened the safety of the empire and its people, but for the sake of those behind him, that man wasn't giving an inch. Even Seryu was being protected by him, and by squinting, Wave could see her conviction breaking through the way her expression lost its heat.

What was he fighting for?

A white light continued to shine over Wave's head, his thoughts a blur, but heedless, he held Kurome, helping to steady her. She was terrified, her eyes unable to peel themselves away from the spectacle before them.

However, Wave couldn't help but feel he was standing on the wrong side.

One side was protecting the lives of others, and the other was intent on taking it away if it meant killing the enemy.

Were the adversaries attacking the capital really rebels if they were led by someone with blood relations to the former Emperor?

Wave kept his thoughts to himself, knowing he'd likely get attacked in present company.

"Fucking shit. The fuck is going on?"

Syura refused to believe what was happening, a vein popping over his temples as he glared down from over the inner walls. Even now it was difficult to believe let alone accept, but from his vantage point, anyone could see it clearly from the wreckage of the flattened slum district.

The flash of orange sparks amid clouds of smoke and dust continued endlessly from pelting bullets and canon balls.

Throughout the chaos, that man was still standing, effectively striking, and deflecting every shot directed at him.

Syura's expression twisted, his gaze shifting to Kurome and Wave who looked like they were staring at a monster. What the hell had really happened at the capital's outer gates?

Attention shifting back to the target in front of him, Syura was well aware that if he could somehow just kill this bastard, the entire attack on the capital would end. Without that man, there was no justification even if the rebels won. It would still be considered rebellion, rather than a proper war of succession.

"W-We're running out of ammunition."

Syura growled when the news came, a shudder travelling down his back as he questioned whether he could pull off a similar feat as the enemy. He'd always been confident in close quarters combat, but that was against people who weren't on Budo or Esdeath's level. The fact that Esdeath was defeated gave Syura a measure of what he was dealing with.

He didn't like it. Not one bit.

"Just keep firing!"

Once more, Syura eyed Wave and Kurome, noting the sheer apprehension on their faces that worsened the longer the adversary before them held out. Kurome was shivering, and Wave looked ready to bolt with Kurome at a moment's notice.

Syura was baffled. He'd provoked Wave before, and although he didn't like the self-righteous weasel, it had taken nothing less than Budo to stop them.

Uncaring about Kurome, Syura was more interested in what Wave was so anxious of? It was just one man!

After confronting Esdeath, there was no way this bastard was at his peak. He had to be on fumes!

Syura's thoughts ground to a sudden halt. It was realization hitting.

...He had to be on fumes?

This was when he was running on fumes?

"Damn it! Why isn't this bastard going down?!"