Chapter 40

The whistling of the wind put an end to the silence that divided the battlefield where all eyes focused on the interaction of the army leaders. Neither side was moving, and this went the same for the combatants. Any sudden movements could trigger the onset of battle, and unless given explicit orders, none of lower rank or station would lightly initiate. This went doubly so for the members of Esdeath's army who more than familiar with her temperament.
U

nless Esdeath gave the word, going against her orders would only lead to a tragic end. As a general, she didn't tolerate insubordination, more so when Esdeath's current features seemed nothing less than riled.
There was a heated savageness brewing behind her eyes, and at first, many speculated that a bloodbath would occur, but this wasn't the case.
Raising her hand, Esdeath's single action caused everyone to tense in alarm.
Najenda shook her head and focused herself into a battle stance while signalling for the rest to brace for combat.
Akame's features were ruthless in this instance. She'd not forgotten her last encounter with Esdeath, and it was showing. The calmer her features, the more determined to kill she became.
Contrary to all expectation however, Esdeath calmly lowered her arm and made a small gesture with her hands.
"Fall back," Esdeath's voice resounded, causing confusion in both her army and revolutionaries.
Under the stunned silence of all, Esdeath and her forces began to retreat, their encirclement dismantling.
All the while, Esdeath exchanged a meaningful look with Shirou.
Esdeath never questioned why or how Shirou was here. She was no fool and could infer that this must have been her loyal subordinate's own way of 'advancing' her relationship after she'd asked Liver for advice. Truly, the older the wiser.
A flush came up to Esdeath's cheeks. Liver knew her too well.
She'd have to reward Liver greatly.
Was he also the one who told Shirou of the Partas Clan's traditions? A woman of the Partas clan would only ever allow her fangs and claws to be clipped to focus on rearing the cubs if the mate was capable enough to do so. It marked the transition from warrior to mother.
It was a barbaric test, but also the tradition that breeds the strongest offspring.
Her excitement and reminder of her origins was such that Esdeath's own anticipation was overriding everything else.
The short exchange between Shirou and Esdeath's eyes said it all. She'd agreed with Shirou's words.
This place was indeed both too small and too obscure for the two of them.
The capital would be the battlefield of beasts where the weak would submit to the strong.
As for the rest of what Shirou had said…Should she look forward to being dominated, or was Shirou too in over his head?
Her claws and fangs would not be easily clipped, and if he failed to do so, well- he was the one who initiated the challenge.
In the blink of an eye, Esdeath and her unit were gone.
She left. Esdeath actually left.
Victor still couldn't wrap his mind around it, and when he rounded on Chelsea for some sort of explanation, Chelsea herself appeared just as dumbfounded as everyone. Regardless, the feeling of relief that Victor, Chelsea, and all the revolutionaries felt at this moment was genuine.
From a situation of certain defeat and death, everything was reversed the moment the true Emperor took to the field.
"It's him. He's the one who will lead the Empire back to its former glory," Victor whispered to himself, but Chelsea heard nonetheless.
Pursing her lips, Chelsea glanced around at her comrades, and took note of the way that they all regarded Shirou. Where once there was only bitter struggle in their eyes, hope was emerging just as it did within her.
Chelsea was no saint. Her reasons for taking up arms may not have been the most noble, but living a comfortable life was something almost everyone sought for. It was just that now, standing here staring at Shirou like everyone else, it felt like she was suddenly part of something bigger, grander.
Surely, when this was all said and done, everything here would be documented and recorded in the annals of history itself. For this was history in the making.
Swallowing down her sense of anticipation, Chelsea could instantly tell that it wouldn't be long for Shirou to win the favour and admiration of the revolutionaries.
It was ironic. Rather than getting him to join the revolutionaries, Chelsea could already imagine that it would be the revolutionaries lining up in droves to join him, their former leaders left abandoned.
Wasn't that the situation for herself?
Chelsea found a small depreciating smile creeping up onto her face. "Unit commander," she called out to Victor. "The army's going to have to offer a lot more incentive if you want to keep anyone. Of course, this also includes myself."
"Ha!" Victor sneered in mirth, taking off the military cap over his head and placing it onto Chelsea who squawked. "You've been promoted then. I resign."
Without waiting for Chelsea to respond, Victor and the others formally made their way to where Elaine was directing the members of Calla to inquire about recruitment.
Chelsea's lips twitched before she pulled the cap over her head, snorted, and then tossed the cap aside. "Wait for me!"