Chapter 49

-The time for hesitation has reached its end.

Shirou's hand twitched, his muscles spasming down from the shoulder, then through the rest of his body as magic energy coursed through his sword and flared over his magic circuits. Like adding pressure to a damaged container, a mist of blood burst out in a thin haze from unhealed wounds seeping through the cracks.

The sword he'd activated by calling out its name and overloaded was exerting its pressure in full.

-The time for doubt will be cast away.

Stumbling, Shirou maintained his balance and breathed heavily. Only his eyes remained full of strength and conviction while the rest of him looked ready to keel over from blowing wind.

Nevertheless, strength remained in his grip.

Though staggering, he could still walk.

Though battered, he could still breathe.

-A weapon needs only its purpose to be pointed at its intended direction.

A blade not broken is one that remains unbending.

"You..." Budo faltered, expression darkening across from Shirou. Hesitation spurred by reluctance caused even the towering giant of a man to withdraw and hunch his shoulders. "Must you push yourself to this extent?"

Shirou's only answer was to step forward, blood leaking from wounds he acted as if he couldn't even feel. Trickling down his legs, the blood began to pool at his feet, leaving red imprints on the tiles that paved the way into the Royal Palace.

Budo pursed his lips, holding back the admiration he was feeling as a warrior and soldier. What pushes a man to continue even at the expense of death could only ever be a motivation greater than that threat.

Was it for his comrades?

A man could die for a brother or a sister, but Budo could see right away that Shirou wasn't fighting for such a singular cause. Rather, his eyes that were looking past Budo were focusing on what could only have been the future without room for alteration or the notion of failure.

Magnificent.

Admiration aside, if Budo put away his thoughts as a warrior and soldier and viewed Shirou objectively as a king and member of the royal family, his duty forbids him from acquiescing.

He must stop Shirou here, not only for a promise with Najenda, but for that very same future Shirou was fighting for. What future would there be if the new emperor himself was not there to direct it?

Therefore, Shirou must be stopped. Any further, and he'd push himself beyond recovery. That sin would lie with Budo.

Then what?

How was he supposed to stop that?

Budo's countenance grew grim.

A fight was only inevitable if both sides had the resolve to hurt the other to the bitter end. If one side could not commit or compare to the other's will, that was the side that was lacking.

A brittle sword could never compare to cold steel even if that steel was battered and chipped.

"...How unreasonable." Budo muttered dimly.

Where does he hit, if any hit cold be fatal? Light blows would never cut it considering the determination in Shirou's eyes. Therefore, it had to be a strike with enough strength to knock him out.

Beyond whether Shirou could dodge or counter, what was Budo supposed to do if such a strike could kill?

Budo lifted his fists, but then gradually let them fall.