Chapter 52

A golden light that ushers in a new era marked the end of Honest's rule over the empire.

Fighting ceased and hostilities dwindled under the light's descent. Some saw vague images of family, others their childhood dreams and inspirations in the radiance.

The monstrous giant made of alchemy, Danger Beasts, and the fusion of an Imperial Teigu was wiped out without a trace. News of Honest's demise came swiftly after, demoralizing any who thought to fight under his banner and invigorating the rebel forces.

The blast of light continued to carve out a deep valley that stretched into the distant mountains, filled with scorched earth and remnant motes of golden light.

It was the sword of the unifier who brought together the opposing factions of the Empire and even Wakoku's warring clans through his strength of character...and the fear of retaliation. It was a sword that could wipe out a capital if swung horizontally.

Rumours of the sword being an inheritance of the royal family abounded, able to be passed down from generation to generation.

At the very least, those of the present era would never encroach upon the Empire's current borders or dare to scheme in the Empire's upper cabinet.

The people of Wakoku deemed the new emperor a child of the stars, but to others, he was their hero, friend, and a loved one.

-A year later, and that man, that hero, had yet to make a public appearance.

Elaine adjusted her glasses and sighed while sitting at the foot of a bed located in the Empire's Royal castle. Across from her, and lying on the bed with his eyes closed, was Shirou. His hair had entirely whitened, and his complexion had tanned somewhat, but the problem was that he wasn't waking up.

Pursing her lips, Elaine balled her hands into fists and kept her cool. Even now, she, Chouri, and many others were keeping Shirou's condition concealed, as he was the central figure stabilizing the Empire's condition. The more ambitious of Wakoku's clans would not miss the opportunity, nor would any other forces eying the Empire after its forces were severely weakened from infighting.

Selka, Leone, and many others had long since recovered from their injuries, but Shirou was the only one who had yet to recover.

At the very least, Shirou was breathing.

Those people in the slums and middle-class zones calling Shirou to blame for Honest's atrocities had been heavily suppressed to an almost vindictive degree. They called for his execution for committing acts of rape, mass genocide, and violence perpetrated in their communities by pro supporters of the former rebel forces.

Considering Shirou's current state while fighting for such people, Selka and the others did not take well to that at all.

Reluctant as she was to admit it, even Elaine took part in the heavy-handed suppression, more to alleviate frustration and anxiety than anything else.

When anger shifted to the former child emperor, it became even more complicated because Budo would instantly become an enemy. Then there was the notion of Shirou and the child emperor being family.

Elaine and the others could not easily acquiesce to the crowds demands so tensions were still rather strained. However, that could be solved if Shirou could just wake up and speak on his cousin's behalf...

For the time being, the child emperor was taking refuge in Calla with Shirou's siblings until they were of age, and the heat died down.

In government, former Revolutionary Army Officers had taken up positions in the defeated Empire's upper bureaucracy. They created new laws to be approved by the emperor, and were insistent on them to the point of petitioning to bypass the emperor due to Shirou's lack of response. However, they were stop-gated by Budo whenever they infringed on the Royal Family's rights.