Chapter 4

Morning came sooner than he anticipated, and by then he was already within the room his father had once used as the study, a hand pinched over the bridge of his nose as he contemplated.

The issue about last night wasn't solely in the fact that the Assassin, Akame, had invaded his dwelling in search of her target, but the ramifications of what she had conveyed to him as well.

"The residents at the far edge of the town have expressed their need of support," Elaine read to him from the side, brushing back her long bangs behind her ears.

She had always been meticulous and upright due to her upbringing of hording in the impulsiveness of her brothers, and it reflected in her diligence to keep things orderly. She came, just as she always had to his home at the break of dawn ready to assist him, and in this case, it was to inform him of the growing problem that had to be dealt with.

"Money is scarce, and the harvest this year wasn't as adequate as predicted," Elaine continued, reading off from a sheet of dried papyrus before eying him discreetly. "If we don't solve the food problem soon, people will starve when the Winter comes."

He sighed.

This was his exact issue. Initially, he had planned to send townsfolk to the Capital of the Empire to work and secure rations, but with how corrupt Akame vividly described it to be, he was more than hesitant to send good people out for an unfavourable outcome.

Elaine took note of his sigh and couldn't help feeling guilty for pressing him on a decision mere weeks after his father died and a day after his inauguration ceremony. To be frank, she didn't want to as she had grown up alongside him and in turn knew him the best. The struggles of others, were his struggles too, but it was also true that he couldn't remain ignorant either.

The two fell into a calm silence, the only sound in the room coming from Artus and Anna giggling and shouting as they play-fought with the wooden swords given as presents.

They stood in stark contrast to him and Elaine who were grimacing over an oaken desk, Elaine standing respectfully on the side, head lowered in thought before Anna unexpectedly began tugging on her pant leg.

"Play?" Anna asked, pointing at herself and Artus who had both wooden swords in his hands while laughing and grinning dumbly.

Elaine's expression stiffened before she looked at him in distress. If there was one thing that was true about her, it was that she was exceedingly inexperienced with dealing with toddlers. It was just something in her straightforward personality that made it difficult for her to associate with them. Unfortunately, children had a strange attraction towards her.

"I Choose You!" Artus said, pointing a wooden sword at Elaine whose neutral expression broke into one of pleading as she stared at him.

He ignored her, pretending he couldn't see the despair that flashed in her eyes as Anna climbed onto her shoulders and Artus began striking weakly at her legs. It wasn't as if he was heartless, but because he knew that if Elaine wasn't there, it was he who would be in her position.

Currently, he had too much to do already.

Whispering a silent apology, Elaine looked at him bitterly as Anna and Artus insisted she go play in the yard with them, prompting Elaine to leave.