Chapter 45

There weren't many things that could detract from the overall momentum of the current civil war, but complacency was certainly one of them. And Shirou was not about to make this mistake when he himself knew that he was presently at his most vulnerable, lacking magic energy.

He constantly kept his vigilance, relying on the bolstering effect of the sword he held in hand, and the bare minimum of Reinforcement to keep his body moving in working order.

Ahead of him spanned the capital's inner walls, and beyond that was the royal palace he was intent on reaching. The moment he managed to enter, he would locate the Child Emperor, separate him from Honest's influence, and then oust Honest for his treachery. That was the current plan at its bare bones, but ensuring its completion was the complex part.

The capital streets were scarce of people along the outer perimeter. He theorized that many more prominent members of the capital had already retreated at the first sign of conflict. Moreover, it would likely have been a shock to suddenly see all the outer wall's defenders disappear into his Reality Marble.

At least, this was the reasoning he used to justify how empty it felt while progressing through the streets. He was acting as part of a vanguard unit while Elaine and Chouri fortified the positions they'd taken at the capital's outer walls. This meant organizing their members and securing their supply lines with their allies from Wakoku while preventing any chance of sabotage or counter attack.

This didn't mean that Shirou was acting on his own though. Members of Night Raid who were nimble enough to join Shirou would help spearhead a route to the royal palace.

Chelsea, from another Night Raid branch, hung back to relay their position to Elaine and Chouri at all times. In war, communication and positioning were key instruments to victory, and wherever trail Shirou blazed, the others would then follow.

The plan itself sounded rather simple, but it was made with the basis of Shirou's capabilities as a 'Wizard' to blow through all opposition.

Honestly, Shirou felt that they were giving him far too much credit...and it showed.

"You don't look nervous at all," Lubbock clicked his tongue at Leone who was near Sheele, Mine, and Bulat. He was acting as the group's forward scout by extending the wires of his Teigu out as bastardized feelers.

Meanwhile, Shirou was positioned in the center of the squad with Selka, Akame, and Najenda pulling the rear.

Leone stuck her tongue out, amused at Lubbock cursing at her. Leone wasn't stupid. She knew Lubbock was right to be cautious, but Leone couldn't help it with how well things were going.

"Why would I when we have the emperor on our side?" She joked, jabbing an elbow at Shirou who was maintaining a brisk pace with the rest of them.

He winced, and it was only then that Leone grew sheepish. Not everyone had Teigu that enhanced their bodies like she did, so she lightened up.

Still, it didn't mean she didn't think her point was valid. She called out to Lubbock, her arms crossing, expression smug to the point that her lack of tension made her look animated. "Shirou beat Esdeath, who else do we have to worry about in the capital other than the fat pig? Even if Honest still has his secret guard, Shirou'll just do that thing again- and oh yeah, what even was that? I can't be the only one still thinking about it?"

Leone huffed while recalling that Shirou had yet to even give an explanation. On that many others agreed.

Looking around him, it was clear to Shirou that he wasn't getting out of this without some sort of explanation. However, an actual explanation was going to go over their heads, so he went with something that was the closest estimate to what they could consider the truth.