Chapter 48

The sound of snapping twigs and bending branches broke away to a storm of leaves shaken from the foliage of a forest's upper canopy. Several shadows darted up high, yet all barely left a trace of their presence like phantoms crossing an open field.

Owls that overlook the moon.

Night Raid.

"We have only a single objective in this operation that must be achieved no matter the cost."

Amid a hurried pursuit, Najenda spoke without a shred of emotion on her face. Trailing beside her were Akame, Selka, Bulat, and the rest of Night Raid.

Aside from Selka who couldn't quite keep a neutral expression, the rest wore cold features as they all knew what was to come and what must be done.

"Honest must die."

None spoke against Najenda's words, rather, even Selka who was from the warring clans of Wakoku agreed. However, Selka wasn't without ulterior motives as she envisioned what would come at the end of the Empire's ordeal. That alone was enough motivation for her.

In contrast, the others who had experienced Honest's corruption would think of the future only after his death. For the sake of a world free of lies and treachery, they must focus on the man at the center of the Empire's strife.

"Honest must have retreated the moment he noticed the Capital's outer defenses fall," Najenda briefed everyone of her thoughts.

As a former general and field commander of the Empire's armies, her tactical mind couldn't be compared to that of the others. Therefore, the authenticity of her words carried weight that everyone had no choice but to listen to.

"The way to escape the Capital is limited due to its size and terrain. Honest cannot hope to scale from the distant cliffside, which leaves him no choice but to cut through this forest and into the vast expanse of the Empire's countryside. From there, he'll be home free if manages to enter the mountain ranges. However, if presented a choice, this would be his last resort as the vast plains leaves him and his retinue entirely visible."

Najenda began to pick up her pace as the urgency of her words took root in the air. Cracking branches that echoed with each leap revealed the extent of her apprehension and resolve.

If there was a time to die for a correct cause, then this was it.

If there was a time to kill fate itself and avert the downward spiral of the Empire's decline, it was now.

"Failure is not an option in this assassination." Najenda spat out with murder plastered over her face. "If Honest is allowed to live, he'll be a festering cancer that will eventually find a way to cause unforeseen problems. In that regard, ask yourself this, if we don't eliminate this problem first, who do you think will?"

"..."

The silence emphasized the depth of everyone's thoughts; the subtle shift in Akame's eyes, a momentary flicker that spoke a thousand words even as the make-shift bandage around her waist began to soak with blood. No one even knew she was injured.

Najenda let out a tired sigh while shaking her head, speaking with a tone that only grew graver.

"That man, I'm sure you all know who, has done enough to uproot the capital's evil. No, not even that. He's done too much. Rather than an emperor, his disposition has always been more inclined with the righteous. Regardless of personal inconvenience or harm, that man always takes it upon himself like it's the only method he knows."

Only the sound of Najenda's briefing echoed in the silence while everyone busied themselves with their own thoughts and motivations.

"Listen, and listen well." Najenda called attention back to her as she narrowed her eyes on traces of footprints left on the ground. "If we fail here, we not only prove our inadequacy, but solidify the assumption that that man must shoulder everything himself. Then, ask yourselves another question...in what Empire would its emperor put himself before his people?"