Entry 6: Hunting the Legend

12:30 PM

The front door suddenly slammed open and a blonde-haired kid blasted into the room. "Lucas, I just had a great idea!" the kid yelled, "Come to Lake Verity, and I'll fine you if you're late!" Then he ran out just as fast as he appeared.

"Mom?" Lucas exclaimed after finishing his chicken burger.

Johanna replied from the kitchen, "I heard him, you can go."

Dawn stood up from her chair, "I wanna go too!"

"Sure, as long as you're both back home before dinner," Johanna replied as her children ran out the door in pursuit of Barry.

I had a pretty good idea as to what this was about. In Pokémon Platinum, Barry asks the player to go to Lake Verity with them to attempt to catch Mesprit, one of the legendary Lake Guardians. They don't find it, but instead, they run into – Cyrus.

"Do you mind if I go and keep an eye on them?" I asked.

"Hmm? Oh, not at all."

"That okay with you Elaine?" I looked down to see my Ralts sleeping in my arms. It made me content to see how comfortable she became with me so quickly. I grabbed my bag and ran after the kids, making sure not to wake up Elaine in the process. Thankfully, as I learned later, she's a heavy sleeper.

One thing that quickly became apparent as I ran towards the edge of town, was how much stamina I had. It was far more than I was used to. As I pumped my lungs and legs, I realised it all felt just so easy to do, like I could run for hours and hours. I suddenly became overwhelmed with a feeling of liberation. I really, really should have exercised more back at home.

I was able to reach the group of kids outside of town, where they had stopped to talk. Well, it was more accurate to say that one of them was berating the other two.

"Too slow! Lucas, I'm sick of waiting!" Barry yelled.

"What was it you wanted me for?" Lucas asked.

"Before that, what's your sister and-" he stopped to look at me for a moment, "this guy doing here?"

"What guy?" he turned around, "Oh. Hi, Jack."

"Hello."

Dawn turned to me and asked, "Why are you here?"

"I'm just here to keep an eye on you guys."

"Well the more the merrier I guess," Barry said as he nodded to himself. "I'm going to see Professor Rowan, so I can thank him properly. So, I had this great idea. Listen up, okay?" His arms were wildly flailing around as he spoke, "You know how they say a legendary Pokémon lives in the lake?"

"Yeah, what about it? Are you going to try to catch it or something?" Dawn asked sarcastically.

"You guessed it!" he replied, "Let's catch that Pokémon."

"Wait, really? I was joking. That sounds awesome!"

"Why do you want to do that?" Lucas asked.

"That'll make Professor Rowan happy. I'm sure of that!" then he ran closer up to the three of us, "The four of us together, we've got nothing to fear! Let's go!" He ran west towards the lake.