Chapter 5: What happened?

Sunny looked at himself in the mirror. He noticed his horns had gotten larger, and he poked at them. He still had a slim chance of being able to hide them. So he hoped. Walking over to the vanity, he set his toiletries down, and put his shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower. After he removed the towel, he slowly stepped into the tub, and turned on the shower head. Cold water rushed out first, causing him to flinch, but it was something he needed. He turned the handle to the left, and warm water began to flow from the shower head above him. He then bathed. His mind was empty.

Once he was done, he turned off the shower and started drying himself down. He glanced at the mirror, and unsurprisingly, the beast was there. But the beast was also wet, glaring at Sunny.

"I hate showers, yknow.." it growled.

Sunny smirked at it, but there was a question on his mind...

"Why are you wet too?"

The beast shook its body, drying its body off. It yawned and laid down, staring at Sunny with an agitated expression.

"We are connected. I am a fragment of your trauma in a physical form. The only way that I can physically exist, however, if if you look into a reflective space. Such as a mirror... I have the ability to force half of my body from the mirror, that's how I was able to touch you. But any farther and I will be destroyed. In order to sustain myself, I feed off of your guilt. Your trauma. Your despair. The deeper you fall into my trap, the stringer I become. Why else would you be able to turn into a beast? I need a physical form, don't I? You're my key to freedom. Im locked behind a door without a key..."

Sunny stood, looking back at the beast as it spoke to him. The reason all of this was happening was because this creature wanted to have his body. Sunny was a vessel. And his body was being tainted by this beast. So was his mind. He stared at the floor, looking at a puddle on the tiles. The beast stared back at him from the puddle, grinning. He could feel the same anger rising within him again, but he tried to control himself.

"Where did you come from..?"

"Well, Blackspace, of course." The beast shifted its weight on one of its paws.

"Blackspace... but... wasn't it destroyed?" Sunny felt his throat tighten in fear.

"Not completely. You see... I am the remnants of Blackspace, but I have grown strong enough to become, well, real. There's others like you out there, with their own versions of this Blackspace, suffering from the same fate. You're not that special, kid."

Sunny opened his mouth to speak, but the beast vanished from the puddle. Looking up at the mirror, all he saw was himself. He felt pathetic. Hopeless. But he wanted to enjoy his stay in Faraway... the best possible way. So, taking a deep breath, Sunny changed into his clean, and not shredded clothes. Thankfully he still had his loafers. He took them off before his whole freak out. Slipping them on, he brushed his hair with his comb, navigating around the horns. He then sighed as he looked at himself again. He looked awful. He looked like a freak.

Kel paced around his room anxiously, his mind running at fifty miles per hour. He was so confused, and concerned. What did he just witness? Was any of that even... real?? He stopped in his tracks as his doorknob slowly opened. Looking at his door, Sunny stood in the frame. He looked down, his face turning a soft shade of red as tears welled in his eye. He looked back up at Kel, who smiled at him.

"It's okay, Sunny.. I can help. I think?" Kel scratched his head.

Sunny closed the door behind him as he walked over to Hero's bed, sitting on it. He stared at the carpet, waiting for Kel to speak. But he didn't say anything. In fact, for once he was deep in thought. What could he do? Kel simply examined his friend. The horns. The eye. The claws. The fangs. He then squinted. Had he not given Sunny baggy clothes? The clothes he was wearing fit him well, a little tight, even.