Chapter 9: Bloom

Aubrey stared helplessly at Basil's body, her throat running dry from her scream

Aubrey stared helplessly at Basil's body, her throat running dry from her scream. She fell onto her knees, watching as the beast approached them. But the beast stopped. It sniffed the air, looking around. It paused for a few moments. Standing on its hind legs, it planned to crush Aubrey, but as it slammed its paws down, it instantly moved them away from her. The beast grunted, mumbling to itself. It puffed up its chest and breathed out, a smoke-like substance emitting from its nostrils. Then it blinked. It's eyes relaxed, looking at Aubrey. She stared up at it with tears streaming her face. But she noticed something was different. She felt as if she was looking at.. Sunny. Whatever attacked them and killed Basil controlled over his body. It wasn't his fault.

Sunny started to shrink, and Kel and Hero rushed over with the quilt from what was supposed to be their peaceful picnic. Sunny had passed out, breathing softly with his eyes closed. He had returned to normal. His eyes were black again, he no longer had horns, and his body was small and fragile. Kel and Hero held Sunny close, looking at what was left of Basil. Aubrey got to her feet and stumbled over to his body, sitting beside it. It was cold, and limp. Blood had stopped flowing from where his torso was ripped apart, and his innards were exposed. It was a horrible sight. Aubrey began to cry again, hiccuping as she sobbed.

"Basil....." she croaked, her lip quivering.

Her eyes were blood shot, her eyelids were swollen from crying. She looked at one of the flowers that had grown near Basil before, gently putting her hand around its head. Then, she felt something gently poke her arm. She looked over and saw a small vine that had grown. It slithered around her, and crawled up Basil's legs. More vines surrounded his body, flowers beginning to bloom. The vines created a scaffold on top of Basil's body, as if it was restoring his it. Leaves sprouted as the vines grew larger, and two leaves spread out on the side of his frame, twisting and bursting. His arms returned. The vines continued to crawl upwards, creating his back and shoulders. A little flower grew from where his neck would be, getting larger as it's petals expanded, folding in on themselves. The petals began to fall to the grass, and Basil opened his eyes to look at Aubrey.

"Woah..." he whispered, blowing a petal out of his face.

Basil then fixed his hair, which had gotten longer, being shoulder length. He grew a vine from the dirt and twisted it to tie his hair back. He then moved a hand over the side of his head, and a new hairclip appeared. It was a sunflower. He then sighed, looking at Aubrey. She stared at him with her eyes wide. She watched her friend come back to life, right before her eyes. She quickly pulled him into a hug, and continued to sob. Her tears fell down his shoulders. He rubbed her back gently, smiling softly. Aubrey pulled away, sniffing as she rubbed her eyes.

"H-Heh, guess you really are a flower boy.."

Basil giggled, but turned his head to look at the others. He walked over, and Kel screamed.

"BASIL'S BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!"

Basil sighed. "Technically yes. But my friend helped me recover. Since I wasn't eaten whole, I still had a chance at coming back. I'm not immortal, but I can heal the worst of injuries with plants..."

Hero and Kel both nodded, looking at Sunny.

"The beast wore him out.. he needs rest. Bring him home before it gets too dark.." Basil said, looking at the horizon. Birds flew across the sky, which was a beautiful shade of pink.

"I should go.. um.." Basil brushed dirt off of his jeans. "Tell me if he gets worse. I'll be over right away."

"Got it.." Hero sighed, standing up with Sunny in his arms. He gently moved some hair out of boy's face, frowning. "Let's go.. quickly."

Kel and Hero arrived home, being as quiet as possible. Their parents were in the kitchen making dinner. The brothers tiptoed upstairs without making a creak, and slipped into their bedroom. Kel wiped his forehead, heaving a sigh of relief. Hero gently laid Sunny on his bed, keeping him covered by Mari's quilt.

"This is.. crazy..." Kel said in awe.

"I'm... not sure what I saw today, but... at least Basil is alive... and Sunny seems okay..."

He looked at Sunny, who was still asleep. He tucked him in slightly, gently putting a stuffed toy in his arms for comfort.

"It's good to see him back to normal."

"He'll be so relieved.." Kel sighed as he sat on his bed.

"What now?" Hero asked.

"Let's just stay here until he wakes up. If mom and dad ask, say he got tired after a long day of..... playing frisbee?"

"I guess that could work." Hero shrugged, patting Sunny's head as he walked over to his little brother. The two of them decided to play a video game together, being as quiet as they could. They hoped that Sunny would turn out okay...

AUTHORS NOTE:

Sorry this chapter is so short, but I wanted to post at least one more chapter before I go to bed. Im not staying up until 3 again lol