Chapter 15: A new beginning

Sunny woke up at three in the morning. He couldn't sleep. He groaned as he stood up. His body was sore, and his ear and nose hurt. He'd look at that later. He slowly walked down the hall with intentions to get a glass of water, but the kitchen light was still on. Who was still up? He walked in the room, spotting Polly. She had gloves on, a medkit beside her, and a sedated cat gently placed on the counter, with one of its legs wrapped in a cast. Polly spotted Sunny and looked at him.

"Hey Sunny... what do you need?"

"I want water..."

Polly nodded, about to take off her gloves when Sunny spoke again.

"But... what happened to that cat?"

"Kel and Hero found it in the middle of the road on the way back and brought her to me.. I'm not sure if she'll make it.." Polly sighed.

Sunny....

Huh?

Im sorry... for the pressure I forced upon you. Basil gave me an option.. that I could inhabit another body if I split myself. But in order for that to happen, the body needs to be deceased. In the chance that this cat dies... would you give me permission to do it? I like the idea of relaxing as a house cat... or hunting for small animals.. and being pet...

Sunny felt sympathy for the beast, hearing the sincerity in its voice. He looked at Polly, the cat, then his own hands. He inhaled softly.

"Polly.. if this cat dies..."

"Yes?"

"My beast would like to take its body and live the life of a cat."

"Wait really?"

Sunny nodded, reaching a hand for the cat's head, carefully petting her. The sedation was wearing off. But she still looked weak, her breath shallow.

"It could give this cat a second chance... it could give the beast a second chance. But, only if she passes away naturally can we do it. I helped Basil with his beast a while ago.."

"How did you know how to help?"

Polly smiled sadly. "My sister was in the same situation as a child. I tried to help her, but the beast drove her to the point of suicide. Now that I'm Basil's legal guardian, its my goal to care for him. Even in this strange case."

The cat began gasping for air, and Polly rushed to help by putting a mask over its mouth, pumping air into its small body. But it eventually stopped breathing. She sighed, looking at Sunny.

"I guess it's time.."

How are we supposed to do this?

I have to split in half. It will be painful for the both of us, but as long as I inhabit the cat's body successfully we will be okay.

What if it goes wrong?

We both will be put in immense pain...

Shit.

Just follow my lead. Relax your body, and let me do my thing. Try to relax. It will hurt...

Sunny closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. He could see the cat's body.. The cat then slowly faded away from his view. A sharp pain ran through his chest and he winced. Polly, having seen this before, stepped back, looking at the cat's limp body. Sunny opened his eyes. Coming from his chest was a black cloud that took the form of the beast. It looked at Sunny and began to speak.

"Though we haven't known one another for long, I've learned a lot from you. But I think you learned something too. You learned to truly overcome the pain of the past. I knew you'd be in Blackspace... I know what went on in there. I purposely created those things, not to distract you, but to see if you could withstand it. And you did, and made it to my heart.. Your friend... I'm unsure of what happened to him. He may still be there.." the beast sighed, looking at the cat's corpse. Smiling, it dove into the cat's body, Sunny wincing as it pulled out from his chest. Then, the cloud vanished.