Chapter 19: The treehouse

Kel was the first to get into the treehouse and smirked. Hero was second behind him, but he yelled out as a spider was brought close to his face by Kel. Aubrey started laughing as she got into the treehouse. Hero moved to a corner, frozen in place. Basil and Sunny finally got in the treehouse as well.

"Hey don't be mean, he doesn't like spiders." Basil frowned.

"He's a grown ass adult and is the only one here who is afraid of a spider." Aubrey rolled her eyes.

"I used to be afraid of spiders.." Sunny said under his breath. "They still creep me out though."

"Anyone can have a phobia at any age. Give Hero some slack and put the spider back. You're probably scaring it." Basil walked over and took the spider gently from Kel's hands, returning the spider to its web.

Hero inhaled. "I'm not going on that side of the room."

"That's alright! I'll stay nearby the web if uou get too scared okay?" Basil smiled.

"Baby." Aubrey spat.

"Aubrey, I may be an adult, but im a young adult. I still have a lot to learn. Plus Kel turned seventeen this past November, he's a year older than you and Basil." Hero sighed.

"Hehe I'm almost an adult. Then I can go buy uh... a car." Kel squinted his eyes.

Sunny felt a bit awkward. He was the youngest of all of them, despite being only a few months younger than Aubrey. He had another year until he turned seventeen.

"Hey.. guys?" Sunny spoke up softly.

"What is it Sunny?" Basil asked.

"Do I look my age? Like... I'm sixteen.. but..."

"Of course y-" Basil got interrupted by Aubrey.

"Not really. You only got a bit taller since we were kids and that was four years ago. And in the past two months Basil grew a little. You haven't, ignoring the whole monster thing... And you don't have a baby face but you still look pretty young to be honest. Maybe its a good thing. Some kids eat free at re-"

"Aubrey." Hero gave her a stern look.

"What?! I knew Basil was gonna lie to him so I had to tell the truth. And the truth hurts." Aubrey crossed her arms, hearing Hero sigh behind her.

"Aubrey I didn't get taller what are you even talking about?" Basil snickered.

"Dude. Have you even taken the time to notice that you're almost two inches taller than me?"

"Uh.. oh jeez. Yea I really didn't notice eheh... maybe I finally had a growthspurt.."

Sunny looked at Basil. He honestly hadn't realized either. It was a small difference, but it happened.

"I got three inches taller." Kel grinned.

"Okay bean pole." Aubrey snorted.

Kel then gasped. "Hero. Height comparison?"

"Im still taller than you."

"I doubt it."

Kel and Hero stood back to back. Funny enough, Kel was slightly taller, by maybe an inch. Aubrey took note of this and laughed.

"Jeez Kel how much milk do you drink?" Hero laughed.

"None, I don't like milk." Kel shrugged.

"To think that you... hm." Hero stopped speaking.

"No I know what you're getting at. That it would've been difficult for me to get that tall because of my situation."

"What situation?" Aubrey rose a brow.