4. stooping low

4. stooping low

If Aryan Singh Rathore could hold a guiness record for anything, it would be for receiving and attending emergency calls because the only calls he does get on his cell was from patients, hospital and emergency surgeries. The last time Aryan got a call from anyone asking him about him, and only him, was... never, Aryan never got a call for himself. He never got a 'how are you', or 'did you eat' or simply, a soft hi, and Aryan would have gotten used to it, if he did not see Surgeon Rohit Sippy get the immense love from his family. Right now, Rohit and him were meeting casually for the morning coffee, they loved doing it every once in a while, to catch up on missed and messed up things, and now that Rohit Sippy had taken a break from being a busy surgeon, Aryan had to ask him why.

"For my wife and my son," Rohit replied, he'd still be in the management, just as a sleeping partner and not a part of the core surgeon team anymore. "I lost a lot of my time behind surgeries, blood and saving lives, and as much as I love doing it, I want to save my son's childhood memories and my wife's beautiful smile until I die." Aryan would have scoffed on it because that was cheesy as it would get, but he did not, because Rohit was never the cheesy guy. "It has been a good time here, and I will still be here for emergencies, just backend."

Aryan Rathore felt the hit of being alone for the first time in decades that morning, normally he would not care as long as money credits in his accounts, but he did care, he wanted to be at the end of receiving the care he always gave. "What can I say," Aryan replied, sipping the coffee which was as black as his soul was, "happy retirement, I guess."

"Waise," Rohit Sippy, the only man amongst the few humans who could be as frank with the surgeon and not have a death wish, "almost 35 now, any plans to settle down or we taking the alternate independent route?"

"I don't think so I'd want a girl to interrupt my set lifestyle," Aryan was always open to Rohit about what he thought was good for him, after all, they were together since med school. "And then, I'd have to give away half my earned stuff to her, only because she is going to take on my surname..." Rohit laughed at that instantly, making Aryan smile a bit, "how is that fair?"

To that Rohit had no answer, he just shook his head, patted his back and they sipped that rest of the coffee discussing world affairs, and let their personal life on pause for a while. For now, Aryan knew he was too far ahead of the world in terms of what they called settling down and starting a family, for him, family never was a strong backbone he needed and to start another family without the general regard to the term did not seem fair.

Plus who in the right mind would marry his arrogant ass.

It had been two weeks since Aarohi's arrival at the hospital, and it had been two weeks since she was stuffed behind a desk, trying her best to keep up with the admin work and understand whatever she could by the very illegible handwriting of the surgeon. Surgeon Rathore had the habit of scribbling all over a patient's file, writing and remarking things that were of concern, or the way he treated them and Aarohi's interest often seemed to be rested on those notes, because that was the only way she could learn something from this job. A normal doctor would quit on being treated inferior as she was being demeaned, but Aarohi and her ego, were best friends to say the least. Aarohi could let go of herself, but not her ego, which she knew would cost her everything one day.

But for now, she was going to stay adamant on this job and keep herself busy, that way she could rest her ankle too and get rid of all the heavy feelings from her past life. Needless to say, no one had called her or texted her, or asked her to come back. On the contrary, Aarohi really thought her family would beg for her to be back, just like they would beg and plead Akshara to return when she had gone away for three years, but seemingly they did not care about her. It was not news to her, she should have known that, they probably considered this act of hers as another attention seeker technique and waited for her to show up on their doorstep.