23. melting

23. melting

Aarohi was overwhelmed by first ever surgery she had taken part in, and not just asissted but also handled the situation, even when she was in emotional despair. How could she not be in turmoil, when it was Neil who was at stake, Neil, the guy who deserved the world. In that moment, she did not think about their past, or their fights, not even about the engagement he had, nothing, all she thought was she had to save his life.

And she did, but what came after hit her hard because of which she broke down in the arms of the guy she swore she would not interact with. That was when she stopped crying, realising the comfort of Aryan's warmth was not something she should get acquainted too. She broke the hug, arms withdrawn from his waist and she wiped her tears from the back of her hand, looking at the guy who nodded, stepping back, without her heels he was taller for sure.

"I am sorry," She said, softly, wiping her tears as they refilled in her orbs, "I don't know..."

"It's okay, Dr. Goenka. I understand." Aryan replied as Aarohi noticed his hand over his abdomen again, "take a break, rest up, we need to..."

"Is it still paining..." She cut him off, taking a step closer as she touched the part where his hand was, their skin brushing and making Aryan difficult to cope with the newfound emotions, "maybe we should get it checked..." Aarohi worriedly said, as she looked at him, tensed for him while Aryan forgot about his pain as he watched the girl holding his hand, "did you attend your dialysis? Why are you so stubborn, do you have a death wish?" She said, rather scolded him as she watched the surgeon smile a bit at her, infuriating her even more. "Sir?"

"Yes," Aryan snapped out of it, like he was in a trance, and felt extremely embarrassed about it, because in all his years, it was him who took care of people so someone looking out for him was a first. "No... I did not attend, I mean, it was to be held today but we had this..." Aarohi sighed, letting go of his hand she had held all this while, "but I'd do this first thing when we reach."

Why in the world was he explaining to a junior resident, he did not know, maybe the painkillers were working differently.

"You don't want to... have your dialysis here?" She asked, before she was about to leave, even though her family might not care about her, she did, so she had to confront them.

"I don't want anyone to know about this illness."

"How does that matter?" Aarohi asked, shrugging and frustrated, she was already disturbed by the surgery and now Aryan's weird thinking was getting on her nerves, "what would go wrong if people knew, I mean, don't you think you need to get serious about wanting to live? You and me both know that you desperately need a transplant and your other good kidney can fail anytime, so why in the world are you not worrying about your life?"

Aryan looked keenly at the girl who was just crying for someone she 'cared' and here she was, screaming at him asking him to take care of himself, wanting him to live. "Why are you worried?" He asked, pain aside, his heart was running down another track, "why do you care?" That paused Aarohi's rant and she felt short for words as if she was caught in a robbery, and she met his eyes, confused herself.

"Because..."

"Because?" Aryan asked, they stood across the room yet felt like they were just as close, atleast he did. "How does it matter to you?" He asked again, hands in his pockets, while Aarohi was dumbfounded for the next minute and the surgeon's icy glares were not helping either.

"It doesn't." Aarohi replied, meeting the surgeon's eyes, he was well versed in knowing that nobody cared for him, and he did not expect Aarohi to say anything different, "it doesn't matter to me, but you are telling me that not one person in this world would not care about you being dead? In all these years of your life here, not one person would cry on your death?" She asked, confused and worried, because she knew that even if she had no one, her siblings would always be there for her and that helped her sleep at night, knowing that someone would cry for her if she died.