11. hand

11. hand

Aarohi Goenka did not think twice as she drafted her resignation letter, that was the first thing she did when she got home from the longest day she had in months. She was angry, upset, mad, tried, scared and hurt, but still, she felt nothing as she finished signing off the letter and the numbness with which she lived her entire life felt terrifying to her as she sat back in her chair. She had not been paying her rent because of the lack of money from the hospital, and if the hospital did not write her a recommendation letter which knowing the head of her team, it was nearly impossible, she would probably not get a job. She did not think twice as she mailed the letter to her senior, marking the admin department and without resting that morning, she headed to the hospital to finish off what she had started.

She was caffeinated well that morning, enough for her to go face the man whom she clearly had a feud with. What was she thinking when she faced him, a loner as him, as her, they were peas of the same pod and if she could go above and beyond to get what she wanted, he could do worse. She had learnt her lesson on how to not mess with fire, or in this case, ice, and she pledged to be more careful the next time because she cannot keep hurting herself 

Aarohi had worn her confidence well with those overalls, yellow was clearly her color and she moved past all the hustle of the hospital, heading straight to the cabin of the man she only wished to never see again. She knew he would be the happiest man now that he had won, she was quitting, the only thing he wanted since the start of the six months. She sighed as she waited outside his cabin, his secretary asked her to go in rather quickly, which was weird since Surgeon Rathore always let her wait for hours. She did not think twice as she stepped in, the cabin seemed less intimidating than the first time she had entered, the interview which she had aced, or so she thought. She held her file, the resignation letter in print with her signature lay on the top and the Surgeon whom she thought would look like the king of the world, looked rather... he did not look like he was happy. 

"Here," Aarohi did not meet his eyes, there was not much of a dignity left now that Aryan had seen her family disown her, right in front of the crowd, "this is the resignation letter, and this is..."

"You are not leaving." 

Aryan Rathore did not even let her complete her statement, and Aarohi met his eyes at once, the audacity of the man in front of her was unmatchable. She tilted her head, frustrated but having little to no energy to retaliate, "What?"

"You heard me," Aryan sat back on his chair, his blank cold face was a little less icy that morning, Aarohi bit the insides of her cheeks to refrain from doing something stupid and took a deep breath, "you are not leaving, period."

"You..." Aarohi held back her retort, the loud rage of hers always got her in trouble but she had to learn from her mistakes if anything, "you cannot do that..." She shook her head, keeping those files on the desk, infuriated by the cold surgeon and his mood swings, "you cannot-" She was adamant, soft yet firm in her voice, "I am not your toy, Surgeon Rathore, stop playing around. All I want is for you to be cordial for once." 

"And I do not take orders, Dr. Goenka," Aryan got up from his comfy seat, buttoning his suit and walking across the table to face Aarohi, standing and matching her fiery gaze, "and especially not from someone as you." He shoved his hand in the pocket of his pants, his dark eyes boring right into hers and Aarohi was trying her best to not be intimidated by the pillar of rock standing in front of her. As tough as that was, Aarohi wanted an out, as fast as she could.

"Okay, so do not keep someone as me around," Aarohi said, gritting her teeth, she was losing her cool by the second, especially on how calm the surgeon often was. "you did what you wanted, you got me to quit, why on earth would you want now?" Aryan took a step closer to the girl, who now felt the proximity between them reducing and she gulped, even when she was supposed to feel angry, she only felt nervous all of a sudden, heartbeats increasing not because of rage but because of the surgeon and his very confusing actions. 

"I want..." He met her eyes, noticing how tired they looked and then his gaze betrayed him as they glanced at her lips, increasing the tension between them as Aarohi let down her guard and lowered her gaze. "you..." He whispered softly, his warm breath hitting her face and she wished for the earth to swallow her because she knew her cheeks were getting warmer and mind, insane. 

Thankfully, the knock on the door saved her from her ownself and Aryan stepped back, the door opened to reveal Dr. Pandey who wanted to discuss the ongoing patient with the surgeon and was a bit startled to see the duo standing face to face, last he saw, Aryan always sat on his chair. Aryan was however only looking at Aarohi who felt the urge to leave, it was a good chance to escape and she excused herself. "I'll take your leave," She said, and would have gone if it was not for the grip on her hand which stopped her. 

Instantly, Aarohi felt the rigid cold fingers hold her hand and she looked at the surgeon, startled at first, nervous the other especially the way he was looking at her and she managed to meet his eyes without melting into a puddle. Dr. Pandey on the other hand felt embarrassing to be caught in the middle of something, he cleared his throat and asked the surgeon if he wanted to discuss the file to which the surgeon shook his head. "Later," He said, eyes still stationed on the girl who was one of the few to keep the eye-lock intact, "also, inform my secretary to not let anyone in for a while. I am busy." He said, and Aarohi gulped again, trying to loosen her hand from his grip but failing, also she did not want to create a scene in front of her nemesis. Dr. Pandey nodded, eyeing the girl and the locked hands as he left, shutting the door behind him.

"Are you insane?" Aarohi said, using her other hand to get his firm fingers off her wrist, "what must he be thinking about us?" She asked, shaking her head but Aryan rolled his eyes, hand still holding hers. 

"I don't care, there might as well be truth to the rumor," Aryan casually replied, and Aarohi pursed her lips, "and our conversation is not over,"

"it is for me."

"conversation works two ways."

"not when you hardly consider the other person and their emotions." She replied, panting as she finally let her rage out, and with that a tear fell from her eye and it all hit her in that instant. "You are just the same, just..." 

All of the evening's façade came right back to her, the fact that Neil was getting married to someone, her family disowned her and did not care about her, she had no one to fall back to, and if she died today, no one would cry for her, forget attending her funeral and as all of it came back to her, she lowered her gaze, her tears streaming down and a drop fell on Aryan's hand, the same one with which he was holding Aarohi's. He immediately left her hand and watched Aarohi cover her face as she cried, sobbing silently, and each sob of hers made Aryan uncomfortable and he sighed, taking that final step between them and letting Aarohi rest her head against his chest. He did not hold her, he did not comfort her, he did not know how to do any of that since he was alone for a long time but in that moment, he knew he could do only thing and that was standing by her side which he did. Till the time Aarohi cried and let out her caged emotions, silent tears and shudders of sobbing, Aryan stood close to the girl, this was the first time he had felt the warmth of someone else's body, the resonating heartbeats of someone else's heart, the wet tears of someone else's eyes. 

"I have no one," Aarohi told herself, something she did when she had a breakdown, but Aarohi did not realise this time she had Aryan listening to her, "I have no one," she muttered to herself, as she cried, "I have no home..." She repeated Manish's words in her head, "no home..." She felt the anxieties rush back to her and she stepped back, the anxious words were choking her and she gasped for breath, Aryan on the other hand was quick to hold her this time.

"Dr. Goenka?"

Aarohi was breathing heavily by now, "I have no one," She repeated to herself, constantly bashing herself for all the sins of her past, "I did this to myself." She gasped for breath, losing her balance as she fumbled on her step but Aryan held her by her hand. 

"Dr. Goenka," He was worried now as he held her shoulders, "look at me, you are fine, you are here, with me."

Aarohi shook her head, more so shaking off the voices in her head and Aryan was afraid he was losing the girl, "Aarohi" He said, holding her firmly, against the wall as he looked at her, and she looked at him, and it all started to make a little sense as he held her. They stood there for like a minute, tears until she was back to her normal pace of breathing and the moment she snapped back, she left the cabin and this time, the surgeon did not stop her. 

What in the world was happening between them. 

_

short update.