28. just mine

28. just mine

Aarohi had slept for a couple of hours after she had broken down in silent tears because she had lost a lot of things she had and would never get them back. When she did wake up, she was astonished to find Neil holding her hand, still and she slowly got out of his faint hold. Things were stressful as is, because she had not forgotten about the kiss from last evening. 

And even now when she thought about it, all she wanted was to go and kiss that arrogant man and keep kissing him. She was insane to even initiate the kiss, but to want to keep doing it was a sure symptom of being a complete idiot. The way he held her, his smell, the way his expensive suit was just as comfortable as he was and his grip on her neck, she remembered everything. Aarohi gently placed her hand over the side of the neck which Aryan had pulled to close their kisses. 

SNAP OUT OF IT AAROHI GOENKA.

She shook her head, retreating her hand and Neil shuffled which brought her attention towards him. She quickly held his hand, asking the nurse to check for his vitals whilst helping him with the saline and Neil looked at her, numbness was clouding his vision. 

"Aarohi?" He muttered, gulping, and then hissed at the sudden pain he felt, "what is this?"

Aarohi sighed, he remembered her and everything else. That was a good sign, atleast Neil was showing signs of recovery. She helped him sit back and texted Akshara about his consciousness, the ones waiting on him were Abhimanyu and Manjari, Neil's mother and Neil smiled at them gratefully. She checked on him, suggested some medications while Manjari thanked her, Neil observing the girl, rather the doctor in front of him.

She still looked pretty. How? How could anyone be so disheveled, have dark circles under their eyes, hair just unkempt and still look so pretty.

"Thank you Aarohi," Manjari hugged the doctor, who was still not used to hugs. "Thank you so much beta, Neil is alive and happy because of you." 

Aarohi smiled, a soft one and shook her head, "just my duty, aun-" She stopped, she did not know whether or not she was still permitted to call her that, "and Neil kaafi jaldi recover kar lega." She smiled at her and Neil, "he has always been a fighter." 

Soon Akshara, some of the Birlas, and the girl Neil was to marry came to meet on him. He was not better yet, the post-op would take a week or so to make him sound again yet he smiled at all those who came to meet him. Aarohi knew he was biting the pain away, just so he could meet all of the family members who came in to see him, and while she stood in the corner, monitoring him, she noticed how all of the Birlas came one by one, each crying and teary eyed. Even the Goenkas had arrived, they were all so happy to see him but none of them noticed her there.

She was once again, just a side showpiece. 

Only Manjari had thanked her, but that was it. Aarohi did not want thank you(s), not even any praise, just wanted someone to ask her if she was okay. Just someone who would come to her, meet her, be happy to see her just as they were all happy to see Neil. It had been months that she left her house, yet none of the Goenkas ever wondered about her, not even her siblings. Sure, she was to be blamed too, but would it kill them now to notice her?

Aarohi felt extremely stupid, she was wallowing in self-pity again and even when she had ousted herself from the house, even when she was a selfish prude. The on-duty doctor arrived and nodded at Aarohi, as he took over while the tired girl walked slowly and silently from the crowd. An entire crowd, and not one person for her. She wiped the corner of her eyes, quickly before anyone would point at her and laugh. It was her fault, why would she expect anyone to look for her when she never cared for anyone.