19 | beyond reason

____________________

Unruly as*, your kick will only fracture your hoof,

Your stubbornness takes you beyond reason or proof

You live by the laws that you yourself have made

O Adam, your disobedience is heaven's law betrayed!

- Rumi, As*

__________•__________

Warning: Graphical violence ahead in the chapter.
Proceed at your own discretion.

____________________

A woman came running inside the establishment, her nightgown splattered with blood.

"Please shut the door!" she murmured frantically with tears flowing down her cheeks. "There's a man pursuing me! A devil!" Adelia exclaimed, approaching a group of men at the table. "Please dial 911. He was a devil! I witnessed it for myself. He did this to me!"

She pointed to the door with blood running down her neck when a man appeared in front of her, brushing his fingertips down her lace-covered arm.

"You sure smell delicious," he said as veins protruded from beneath his eyes.

"You are a demon as well," she said in horror, glancing back to see whether anybody else noticed. "Every one of you."

"Well, yes, we can bring your first demon for a treat. I can share," he grinned, leaning into her bare neck as she froze in stunned silence.

When the knock on the door rang, the man cracked a smile and grabbed her waist to pull her close, cornering her against the bar counter. "That might be your demon. Should we invite him in for a nibble?"

"Please let me go," she pleaded as the other vampires got up, one reaching out to touch the blood on her nape and putting it in his mouth with a hum.

"Allow me to learn your name." Clicking his tongue, he added, "Feels almost criminal to taste first." He sat her on the counter, slowly touching her calf over the lace robe.

"Maeve," Adelia whispered, almost inaudible as the vampire tensed, his gaze promptly travelling to the door to see it open and Klaus standing in their doorway. "My name is Maeve."

____________________

"Look what the cat dragged in," Rebekah said, looking at Sage—her eldest brother's lover.

"Easy there, Rebekah. You know she used to beat men for sport," Damon informed the Original.

"She always was quite common," she commented off-handedly.