Home Going

She is no fat cat galloping into danger
She gives and she takes.
She will swallow you whole and drain you dry.
She gives and she takes

"Mommy! Look at the shark!" A little boy yelled. Kendra watched as he put his snotty nose to the glass. The mother trudged over like there was tar on the floor. The mother leaned on the glass with her shoulder and rested her head with a thunk. The sharks swam slowly followed by two or three fish. Kendra picked up the broom and dust pan to keep sweeping the floor. Candy wrappers, receipts, crumbled up paper and all crumbs got pushed into the dust pan lazily. It was a slow Sunday at the Aquarium. Normally, the halls would be teeming with school groups and families but today only a few.
"Mommy! I want to be like an underwater Hulk!" The little boy sniffed and Kendra cringed at the sound of his congestion.
"I'm ready to go, I'm tired Sean," the mother groaned. The little boy, now Sean, crossed his arms. Here we go, Kendra thought. Kendra pretended to sweep up more trash just to see how this would play out. The little boy stomped his feet and then marched forward. The mother grinned and turned to follow when her eyes locked  on Kendra.
"Excuse me?" The mother called. Kendra looked up trying to conceal her grimace.
"Yes?"
"Do the fish normally do that?" The mother pointed. Sean must have been curious too. He turned around and immediately smiled.
"Mommy look! They're watching her clean!" Sean squealed. Kendra turned and the fish, that were in the tank opposite to the sharks, grouped together peering at Kendra. Kendra quickly stepped away and the fish scurried away.
"It's a trick I've taught them," Kendra picked up the broom and dust pan and walked out of the aquatics area to the maintenance room. The stuffy, sour mildew smell made Kendra nauseous. She placed the trash from the pan into the trash bin at set the broom aside. The door opened and an old hobbling woman stepped in.
"Kendra, it's your last day right?"
"It is Mrs. Mabel," Kendra's stomach lurched as Mrs. Mabel's Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds perfume over powered the stench of the maintenance room. 
"Well, I just wanted to give you a little something," Mrs. Mabel handed over a card with a penguin standing on snow. Kendra opened the card and smiled. It was signed by her other coworkers and inside was a small wad of cash.
"Thank you Mrs. Mabel," Kendra closed the card and pressed it to get chest.
"It's no problem, I'm glad you're leaving. I don't want you to end up like me. Too comfortable and scared to leave," Mrs. Mabel said. Kendra smiled and placed a hand on the old woman's shoulder.
"It's ok Mrs. Mabel, maybe one day I'll become rich and get you out of here." The two shared a quick laugh before Kendra said her goodbyes.

Kendra's walk home was quick. Inside her small studio apartment, her TV announced that there had been an attack in the ocean by Wakanda.
Kendra packed up what little she had into a duffel bag and flung the strap over her shoulder.
"This attack is nothing like we've seen before. Bodies of the Security team were found—" Kendra turned the TV off and looked around the room. There was nothing on the walls, no plants on the floor, or books. The place was nearly as empty as it was sold if it wasn't for the TV, small couch, and coffee table. Three knocks pulsed at her door causing Kendra to jump. She jogged over to the door peering out the peep hole. A glad headed woman in a jumpsuit and shades stared back. Kendra opened the door.
"Kendra?" The woman said with a thick Wakandan accent.  Kendra nodded and took a deep breath.
"Yes."
"Follow me please," the woman turned on her heels and marched down the stairs. Kendra followed while texting on her phone.

Kendra: You didn't say I'd have an escort...
Shuri: It's fine. She'll protect you as you make your way here.

It was night time and the fluorescent orange street lights illuminated the block. Down the street men shouted and cursed as they played their everyday game of basketball. A black car was parked outside the apartment building.
"Is this the ride?" Kendra asked. The woman smirked and stood shoulder to shoulder with Kendra.
"No."
There was a humming above them and Kendra felt pulsating air pulling her up. Her feet left the ground and she shot up into the air watching the street get smaller and smaller. The scream was caught in her throat. The woman followed behind her and the two landed inside the ship.
"Oh my— what the—," A hot flurry of heat radiated between her eyebrows before she passed out cold. The woman withdrew her staff back to her side and sat down.
"Did you have to knock her out?" Another woman asked from the command seat.
"I don't feel like answering a million and one questions. Besides, we don't really know if she is who Shuri thinks she is." The woman said. Without another word the ship zipped off leaving a gust of wind as they travelled for Wakanda.