Betrayal

Namor and Shuri went into the water first. Kendra teetered at the shallow edge in her sports bra and boxer briefs. The cold of the cavern pimpled her skin. This was it. This was her moment to go. To jump into what her soul and body had been craving to go into for years. The only issue was that her bracelet was gone.
"If you are afraid of water don't go in," one of the blue women commanded. Kendra cut her eye towards the woman. Kendra stepped forward into the body of water feeling the hum of life that lived beneath. The gentle vibrations of jellyfish, whales, and people swimming around tickled her skin. The salt water stung up her nose for but a moment. Her soul pulsed with excited energy. Her once brown hair turned ice blue and her hazel eyes now a hazy grey. When Kendra looked to Shuri shock was written all over her face. Kendra looked to Namor who looked over silently. No judgment. No fear. Kendra allowed herself to swim ahead of the pair her tears mixing with the water of the sea. For the first time in 26 years she felt normal and not what her many foster parents would call her. Mutant. A brilliant jellyfish almost the size of a whale slithered past her. Kendra smiled ear to ear and looked back. Shuri looked in amazement. There was a distant laughter muffled deep in the sea. Kendra allowed the current to guide her forward. The three swam deeper into the depths until they were sucked into a stronger current. Shuri zipped by Kendra fast. Kendra heard the laughter of people getting closer and a presence at her side.
"I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself properly," Namor said calmly. Kendra shook his extended hand.
"Your name is Namor, I got that much," Kendra said. Namor chuckled his smile reaching his pointed ears.
"And you are Shuri's sister?" Namor asked circling her as they swam deeper. Before Kendra could swim away to avoid the question he wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her to him just before a whale zipped by. There were people who hung onto the whale as if traveled to its destination. Kendra felt the warmth of Namor on her back and relaxed. Wait. Kendra pulled herself free and Namor swam ahead.
"Your appearance changes under water but Shuri's does not?" Namor asked. Kendra frowned. She stopped and her white hair pooled around her face. With a wave of her hand, a small section of the water in front of her crystallized before falling to the ocean floor.
"I'm not like them...Shuri and I have the same father,but not the same mother's," Kendra said. Why am I telling him this? He's a stranger. Namor gazed her with soft brown eyes.
"I understand what it's like to feel different from family. It is uncomfortable but you find that there are others out there who are like you. They'd become your family," Namor beckoned Kendra forward and the darkness of the water turned into a thriving city. Kendra stopped immediately as she watched people, real people, live. There was a group playing some sort of game with a ball using their hips to hit it in the ring. There were people gathering food, organizing, taking naps. Kendra tensed as a young woman swam to her and put her hands together like an open jaw. Namor swam beside Kendra and did the same. Kendra put her hands together and did the same.
"These are your people?" Kendra asked in a whisper. Namor touched her lower back gently and nudged her forward.
"I have more to show you," he said. Kendra swam alongside him avoiding the curious looks his people threw her way. They caught up to Shuri who stared at an illuminated ball. It was a brilliant white light. Shuri looked to Namor and Namor swam to it.
"I brought the sun to my people," he said. Kendra was puzzled but amazed. The sun underwater...how is that possible. Its vibration was soft and sent out soft rings of energy. Kendra closed her eyes and felt warmth on her skin.
"I'm going to head back up," Shuri said. Kendra snapped her eyes open and Shuri was in front of her.
"Ok," Kendra said. Shuri narrowed her eyes.
"Why didn't you tell me?" Shuri asked gesturing to Kendra's face. Kendra felt a twinge of guilt but also anger.
"I had no expectations of telling anyone. I came here to make sure you were safe like your mother wanted," Kendra bit the end of her sentence. Shuri swam away and Namor looked between them.
"Are you ready?" Namor asked. Kendra looked around at the fully functioning city around her.
"I'll take my time swimming back up but I'll catch up," Kendra said.
"You can stay for as long as you like," he said.  Kendra turned away to hide the smile that bloomed on her face. What the hell is wrong with you Kendra? You don't know this man. Go with Shuri. Kendra succumbed to her internal dialogue and swam quicker than she anticipated back to the surface. Once on dry ground Kendra's eyes and hair reverted back to brown.
"You look comfortable," Shuri said drilling holes into Kendra's head. Shuri stepped out of the suit dry while Kendra was given a towel to wrap around her body. Guilt settled in and Kendra clenched her fist. Those people attacked them and were trying to kill Riri. One of the soldiers beat Okoye and had her blasted into the water. What was she thinking? Kendra followed behind her sister.
"Kendra, once you are dressed. I would like to speak with you," Namor said but it wasn't a request, it was a demand. Kendra nodded and walked with Shuri back into the room where they changed. Shuri got dressed in her purple jumpsuit angrily punching her feet into her pants.
"I'm not angry with you. Of course you have your own secrets. I'm just confused as to what to do about this situation. I don't think Namor wants a war or to really kill Riri," Shuri confessed. Kendra pulled on her sweatsuit reluctantly.
"It's ok. I'm...we're still sort of strangers. We have to learn each other as people and sisters," Kendra said awkwardly. Shuri lightly punched Kendra in the arm.
"You're right. But what should I do about Namor? My mother seems to think he is an enemy but he just wants to protect his people. But I can't let him kill Riri," Shuri said. Kendra sighed and there was a knock on the door.
"Kendra, Namor would like to speak with you." Shuri and Kendra exchanged looks.
"I'll see what I can find out," Kendra said before leaving.

Namor waited patiently for Kendra in a room painting on the walls. He wore a cream robe around his shoulders. Kendra walked into the space.
"What are your intentions?" Kendra blurted out. Namor paused into his painting and washed his hands.
"Straight to the point," Namor hummed. He stood up and walked to Kendra. As he got closer, Kendra tilted her head back to look at him in the eyes.
"I only want to protect my people," Namor said cooly.
"By killing a child?" Kendra pressed. Namor sighed and circled her.
"I don't want anyone from the outside to find out where Talokan is. It would mean the end to my people and their safety." Namor said from behind her. Kendra felt his breath on her neck and she turned. He was a few inches behind her.
"But killing a child? Why not kill Shuri or me? We know more than them," Kendra took a step back as Namor stepped closer. Namor bent down to Kendra's eye level.
"If it means protecting my people," Namor said cooly.
"I'm sure the Queen of Wakanda can protect Riri so that she won't jeopardize Talokan," Kendra said in one breath. Namor gently pushed the collar of her shirt to the side.
"While you were swimming I couldn't help but notice your scars. While you swam they were as blue as the sea."
Kendra swatted his hand away.
"You don't have the right to ask me anything about my life," she spat.
"But you have the right to question my intentions in my home?" Namor pressed.
"If it means protecting Riri, my sister, and Wakanda—"
"But they don't even know who you are or what you are," Namor snapped.
"And you do?" Kendra yelled.
"I'm over a hundred years old. I've seen things that no other has seen," Namor walked away from her and touched the painted walls.
"You are a mutant like me," Namor said. He walked back to her slowly and when he was inches away Kendra balled her hands into a fist.
"You don't know the first thing about me," Kendra pulled her fist back and swung it forward aiming for Namor's nose. There was a quiet clap as Namor caught her fist. A chill snaked down her spine and Namor pulled her into him not letting go of her fist.
"I like you Kendra," Namor said his voice unwavering. Kendra struggled to pull back.
"Let go," Kendra pulled and flew back onto the floor as Namor granted her wish. Pain shot through her left leg.
"You can go now and I hope you know what you're doing. Wakandans don't take kindly to strangers," Namor said. Kendra picked herself up from the floor and lunged for Namor only to be wrenched back by the forearm. Kendra was dragged back to Riri and Shuri.
"What happened?" Riri asked walking up to her.
"Nothing." Kendra said. Shuri's eyes narrowed for a moment before widening.
"No!" Shuri shouted. There was a loud sonic boom. Kendra whipped around on her heels to see one of the blue women on the ground with a hole in her stomach. Kendra felt the burning of bile scratch the back of her throat. Nakia ran over to the three.
"What have you done?" Shuri yelled. Kendra ran over to the blue woman. The woman's eyes widened as Kendra tore a piece of her shirt and pressed it into the wound. Kendra closed her eyes and focused on the woman's blood seeping onto the floor. There's water in the blood. If I can stop the bleeding there might be a chance to save her. Otherwise, Namor will see this as an attack on his people. Kendra breathed in deeply and hovered her hands above the woman's wound.
"Kendra!" Shuri shouted. Kendra felt the woman's shredded skin weaving back together.
"I need more time!" Kendra whispered. The woman winced, her eyes not leaving Kendra.
"Let's go," Nakia sounded from behind Kendra and she pulled Kendra to her feet. Kendra felt the woman's skin tear again as the healing failed.
"No, I have to help her!" Kendra yelled.
"There's no time for that!" Nakia yelled. Nakia slapped a wrist band over Kendra's wrist. Nakia pressed one of the beads on the wrist band and stared at Kendra confused.
"It's not working," Nakia shouted Nakia took one look at Kendra before softening her eyes, "I can't save you. The Queen only asked me to save Shuri and Riri. I'm sorry...I tried"
"Just keep Shuri safe!" Kendra pushed Nakia forward. Kendra watched as the three women ran away and out of the cavern. In seconds, Kendra was surrounded with staff's at her throat. There were footsteps behind her. A weak voice spoke and the only thing Kendra understood was Kulkukan. A gasp rang out in the silence.
"She's dead," Namor said. Kendra closed her eyes. What just happened? Namor called off his warriors and they stepped away from Kendra and walked out of the room. Kendra felt his presence in front of her. His jewelry clanking and breath heavy but even.
"They killed one of my people," Namor said. Kendra snapped her eyes open and met Namor's stare.
"I'm sorry," Kendra said. Namor clenched his jaw.
"What do you have to be sorry for?" He said calmly, "did you kill her?"
"No," Kendra shouted.
"I have done nothing to the Wakandans to deserve this. I let them come into my home, see Talokan, and this is how they repay me," Namor seethed.
"It wasn't Shuri's idea or Riri's! Maybe it was the Queens idea of a rescue but it went wrong by accident," Kendra stammered. Namor placed a hand on her cheek. Kendra leaned into his hand feeling warmth swell in her chest. Stop! She quickly pulled herself away. Namor sighed and beckoned her with a hand.
"Follow me."