Preparations

Kendra couldn't sleep. The dinner with Shuri was awkward and silent. Everyone's thoughts on the battle to come. Kendra rolled over in her bed to face the wall. Outside her window crickets and frogs conversed through blades of grass. I'll kill him. We haven't told anyone that you're my biological sister. Kendra punched her eyes closed as Shuri's words swam in her mind. She didn't want Namor to die. Technically, it was Queen Ramonda's fault for sending Nakia to retrieve Shuri and Riri. That Talokan woman didn't have to die. To think all of this could have been avoided if Nakia hadn't died. But, would the woman have killed Shuri? Kendra groaned as she rolled onto her stomach kicking her feet. Why was this so frustrating? To top everything off... Kendra paused in her thoughts. She was still a secret. Unwanted and unclaimed. Kendra wondered how long it would take before Shuri would call her a stranger again. It stung even though it was partially true. But, what stranger would risk their lives to protect their new family? Kendra rolled onto her back and sat up. I could just leave right now and forget anything ever happened. Kendra flung her legs off the bed and walked over to her bag. She didn't come with much so it didn't take long before her bag was stuffed and zipped.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Kendra jumped pushing her bag under the bed. Who could be up this late? Kendra checked her phone and the screen flashed her a 3:15 A.M. Kendra walked over and opened the door slowly. Riri stood twiddling her fingers.
"Can I come in? I can't sleep..." Riri asked. Her eyes were red and small bags were beginning to dig grooves under her eyes. 
"Yeah, sure," Kendra stepped aside to let Riri in and shut the door.  Riri immediately sat on the bed leaving Kendra to lean on the wall.
"Are you ok?" Kendra asked gently. Riri lowered her head.
"I feel bad...this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't made that stupid machine," Riri sniffed. Kendra nodded.
Looks like she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.
"Riri, you didn't know what it was going to be used for. Don't beat yourself up," Kendra sighed. Riri huffed a short laugh and looked up.
"Thank you ," Riri sighed and wiped her eyes.
"Are you ready for tomorrow?" Kendra chuckled. Riri laughed from her belly.
"No, not really but Shuri needs me...needs us," Riri smiled. Kendra's smile faltered.
"Yeah, I don't know how much help I'll be," Kendra admitted. Riri frowned.
"We all have our part to play no matter how big or small," Riri said gazing up at Kendra. Kendra scratched the back of her head.
"Well, let's not lose sleep. We do have a big day ahead of us," Kendra sighed and Riri stood up.
"Yeah, sorry for waking you?" Riri bit the end of her sentence.
"It's fine," Kendra opened the door and waved goodbye as Riri exited her room.  Kendra waited until the padding of Riri's footsteps disappeared down the hall and retrieved her bag. When Kendra leaned back up to plop the bag onto the bed she saw a note. She picked it up and thumbed it open.

Keep an eye out. I heard someone talking about you on my way here. It didn't sound good.

What the hell? Did Riri leave this note? Kendra balled the note up and used the moisture in her hand to soak the paper into mush. What is going on?