Crime and Punishment (Gender Neutral Deity!Reader)

Requested by onixwolf_12! Basically you're a deity of sin and punishment, and John is your demon assistant! Hope you enjoy it! (Y'all are so creative with these oneshot ideas omg 😭) Also this oneshot mentions different torture methods but not in too much detail ⚠️

Third person POV
The relationship between Y/N and John Doe was an... Interesting relationship to say the least. Y/N was the god of punishment, responsible for punishing those who have committed horrible atrocities and sins. Y/N referred to these people as vermin, seeking to cleanse the world of them.

John, on the other hand, was their assistant. Out of his love for Y/N, he volunteered to leave the underworld, and help assign different ways of punishment. Though Y/N was indifferent about most things and people, they had a bit of a soft spot for John.

The place where Y/N did their work wasn't really a solid place at all, but an endless white void. In the "middle" of this void was a medium-sized patch of wooden floor. Furniture often appeared on the patch, and disappeared when it was no longer needed. Walls could also appear, enclosing around the patch and turning it into a room. This space was where Y/N and John lived and worked together.

Y/N POV
I was pacing back and forth, struggling with a punishment to come up with for the latest vermin. For some reason, I was completely stumped on ideas. I don't understand why I am, I've been doing this for years. I was determined to find anything that would be a suitable punishment, but yet I was still out of luck. I looked over at John, who was looking back at me intently.

"What's the matter, Y/N?" John asked. I sighed, a wave of defeat washing over me. "For some reason, I can't decide on a punishment for one of the vermin. Perhaps you can decide." I responded. Usually I did most of the decision making, John just helped me make adjustments to them. But I decided to hand that responsibility to him, just this once. "Of course, I would love to!" He happily replied.

Still sitting at the desk, John was deep in thought. A piece of paper appeared on the desk, all the information about the latest vermin written on it. It felt nice to have a break for a change. I really appreciate John's help. A bookshelf appeared, and John walked over to it. He retrieved a book from the shelf. "What's that one about?" I asked. "Various torture methods! I was thinking of finding one of the worser ones and adjusting it to be twice as painful." He replied. He went to sit back at the desk.

Now that I think about it, I could've just used the book John had found. But he looked so happy when I let him choose the punishment. For some reason, I cared about him deeply. I don't feel this way towards anyone, let alone feel anything for people at all. Maybe, just maybe, it was love? I know what it means, but I don't truly understand it. Maybe I'll read a book about it from the bookshelf if I can find one later.

John Doe POV
At last, I have finally found the punishment! The punishment was for a convicted serial killer who had recently died of a heart attack. He supposedly felt no remorse for any of his victims, and hadn't been imprisoned. I excitedly walked over to Y/N. "Y/N! I found one! Do you want to take a look?" I asked. "Of course. I'm curious what you have decided on." They replied, as I showed them the pages of the book.

"I was decided to mix two methods together! The chair of torture basically has a bunch of spikes on the seat and armrests, and the person sitting there is also being roasted alive. I combined that with a continuous acid attack, specifically hydrochloric acid. What do you think?" I explained. They looked rather intrigued by what I chose. "It's brilliant, John. I knew I could count on you." They replied, gently patting my head.

The feeling of Y/N's touch was immensely comforting, but especially their praise. It was somewhat rare to share these special moments with Y/N. "Can you help me with something else?" They asked. I nodded. "Of course, anything for you!" I cheerily replied. They lead me over to the table and chairs that had suddenly appeared. We sat down at the table. "Do you know what love feels like?" They suddenly asked.

"I suppose I do. It feels like your heart aches when your around a certain someone, but in a good way. It feels like you want to protect them and give them all of your affection. Like you want to spend as much time as possible with them. I guess that's what it feels like to be in love." I explained. Their face was tinted with red, something I've never seen before until now. "That's exactly how I feel when I'm around you. I just didn't know how to word it." They replied.

Y/N POV
John's face looked surprised. I couldn't tell if that was a good or bad thing. "I... I didn't really expect you to say that. Are you sure?" He asked, blushing. "Of course, why wouldn't I be? You're the only person who's actually made me feel something. I feel happy when I'm with you, John. I think the phrase 'I love you' would be the most appropriate to describe how I feel about you." I replied.

John was blushing more intensely now. "Really?! I love you too Y/N!!" He exclaimed, standing up and rushing over to me. Once I stood up as well, he wrapped his arms around me tightly. I was confused at the unfamiliar form of affection at first, before the confusion slowly became a feeling of comfort. It was strange to experience this for the first time, but I eventually did the same as he did.

"I've never experienced one of these before." I said. John looked a bit surprised. "What, a hug? Never?!" He asked, concerned. I shook my head. "Never. I didn't really get the appeal of them, until I started falling in love with you. I just didn't know how to ask for one." I replied. John smiled. "You don't really have to ask, I'll always want a hug from you Y/N! I love you so much!" He responded, before putting his lips on mine. Another new feeling arose.

We separated from whatever that was, and I could feel my face warming up. "Was that a 'kiss'? I'm sorry, I'm just a bit new to these kinds of things." I asked. He nodded his head. "Yes, and you don't have to apologize!" He replied, still smiling. I kissed him, combing my fingers through his hair. He's so precious to me. I'm glad we started working together.

Hope you enjoyed! Sorry it took a little while to publish, I've been going through a lot of stuff but I'm fine now!! Have a great day/night!! ^_^

Wordcount: 1203